Forums

Right age to introduce chess to your children?

Sort:
adrianpolit

The best time is never.  Chess is an addiction-- woe unto you if you are kinda of good-- you will never make a living, but it will distract you from all the other 'games' in life, like nature, family, a craft that is actually useful, an art that is not limited what is basically a fancy crossword puzzle.  Chess feeds the competitive ego too in an unhappy way.

My $.02

N.B. not saying that I every was 'good', just looking at other lives I've observed and a bit of my own experience.

C-Crusher

maybe 11 is good?

Ziryab
For most children, 7-10 is the right age. For future GMs, they need to start at 4. As a general guideline, children should know how to read and write before learning chess. Basic literacy develops anytime from age four to never, depending on the child's genetics and home environment.
thefishizdelishiz

protect your kids from chess.

Spongeworthy

I had a 5 year-old teach his 2 year-old brother

Spongeworthy

I taught a 2 year-old to stalemate with Queen v King

NoSecretToTheGallery

chess is just a game, life is for all the marbles - choose accordingly.

SAGM001

40+

King_of_pawns

When they are old enough to know not to eat the pieces.

WalangAlam

Karpov, Gelfand , Ivanchuk played at the national level by age 9. I guess you can research on Susan Polgar's method at Spice, better yet check it out.

bizzie

The right age is when they have the maturity to congratulate the winner without being a poor sport.  For some, that is 3 or 4.  For others, it never comes.

RichColorado

Many suggest to read the MY SYSTEM . . .well even grown adults is too deep for them . .

IMHO

DENVER

zck419
I'm six, a new beginner. Chess is an interesting game.
KholmovDM
zck419 написал:
I'm six, a new beginner. Chess is an interesting game.

I wish I had started playing at your age! Well, I did, and then I stopped playing.  For seventeen years. sad.png 

madhacker
bizzie wrote:

The right age is when they have the maturity to congratulate the winner without being a poor sport.  For some, that is 3 or 4.  For others, it never comes.

Hang on a second, there's an assumption built into that reasoning - that your kid is never going to be the winner(!) Way to be encouraging...

cracking12345
[COMMENT DELETED]
Rogue_King

I was introduced to chess when I was 5. 

KnightWhoSaysNih

I learned it when I was five. My parents bought a game case that had several different games and chess was included. I asked mom to show me how it is played and she tried to make it sound as boring as possible, but I still wanted to play. I regret nothing. 

I taught my nephew to play and he's 8.

CookedQueen

At least 70

RichColorado

CookedQueen wrote:

At least 70

= = = = = = = = = = =

Am I too late to learn? I'm just 79 . . . . . .

DENVER