Forums

Vote chess improvements

Sort:
wormrose
joeydvivre wrote:

Stanley Milgram did a very famous experiment that failed.

I couldn't find him in the database.Foot in mouth

Bubatz

[Off topic, but:] Most known is his 1974 book "Obedience to authority". The original paper is

"Behavioral Study of Obedience" (in: Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology. 67, 1963, S. 371–378)

Find pdf here:

http://www.radford.edu/~jaspelme/_private/gradsoc_articles/obedience/Migram_Obedience.pdf

Actually, there's an older 1961-paper called "dynamics of obedience", but I couldn't get hold of that one.

peterb1201

Serious question: is there a setting that will cause chess.com to not display forum messages (including vote chess messages) from certain loudmouths?  That would solve 98% of the problems I have with it.

Bubatz
peterb1201 wrote:

Serious question: is there a setting that will cause chess.com to not display forum messages (including vote chess messages) from certain loudmouths?  That would solve 98% of the problems I have with it.

Serious answer: While this feature is often included when blocking people on other message boards, it isn't the case here.

Martin0

On topic: I added that vote chess tournaments should be possible and that super admins should be able to remove players from vote chess games without removing them from the whole group.

Martin0

I added that you should be able to insert a diagram with the current position without needing to copy and paste the FEN-string and that there should be links to the group home page at the vote chess game.

Martin0

I sent the list to staff and got the reply that they added my suggestions to their list and review it as they make improvements in future releases. I guess all that's left is to wait and see if any suggestion will become real.

Michael-G

future releases?That means from 2 -20 years.

Bubatz

Thanks Martin0! @Michael: Who knows, maybe now that the general redesign is done and implemented, vote chess improvements are a bit higher on their agenda.

Michael-G

yeah , you wish!!!

Bubatz
Michael-G wrote:

yeah , you wish!!!

what else can we do ...

wormrose

...maybe in another website, far far away.

Bubatz

That makes alot of sense, actually.

wormrose

...and if you say something stupid or suggest what turns out to be a blunder the instant after you submit your comment or say something you later regret then...

EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed live with it?

...and if you can't edit comments then you can't correct typos either CryCryCry

...and if you can't do these things then a lot of people will feel afraid to say anything and participation will degrade

I don't think that would prevent spying and I don't think spying is a significant problem. Cheaters never win - winners never cheat

Martin0

I like being able to edit my comments and update diagrams and analyses. Theres no point in showing a line 10 moves ahead after realizing it was a blunder on move 3 (then change the diagram and show the blunder).

If I couldn't edit I might end up making a lot of comments in a row with some small changes and I think people really don't want to bother to look through my 5-6 comments in a row when 1 comment could have been enaugh.

I can see your point though with cheaters being harder to caught, so maybe it should be impossible to delete/edit a comment after the move has been made to at least make it harder for them. Then they would need to delete/edit posts in the last minute for each move.

Bubatz

I too like being able to edit my posts, but FirebrandX definitely has a point. Making it impossible to edit a comment after a certain time has passed may be the solution.

wormrose

The solution to what?

I think when the game is finished you can no longer edit comments.

Martin0
wormrose wrote:

The solution to what?

It is possible to edit comments from finnished games

wormrose
Martin0 wrote:
wormrose wrote:

The solution to what?

It is possible to edit comments from finnished games

I just tried that and yes you can. It seems I tried that a few times a long time ago and was unable to make changes. Maybe they changed it or maybe it was a glitch.

I still don't see what problem would be solved by giving up editing and/or deleting capabilities. I don't see how that's going to stop cheating and I don't believe cheating is a major problem in vote chess. Group rankings are based more on activity than winning/losing.

wormrose

[COMMENT DELETED] refute that!