Forums

what is the best oping for beginer

Sort:
jason1

hi every  body ned  help open im only rated 1000  but im playing rated 1500  im winning some but want to learnig more

Nytik

For a beginner? None. You should not focus on opening lines, but opening principles. A quick search for them in the top-right box of the page should bring them up.

dc1985

The best opening for a beginner... White, or Black, or both? For White I would say the Scotch or Italian, maybe the Ruy Lopez. Black, Sicilian. Openings aren't important for beginners, though...Endgames and tactics first!

BigTy
dc1985 wrote:

The best opening for a beginner... White, or Black, or both? For White I would say the Scotch or Italian, maybe the Ruy Lopez. Black, Sicilian. Openings aren't important for beginners, though...Endgames and tactics first!

Sicilian good for beginners? You crazy?

Stick to 1...e5 against 1.e4, it is much easier to understand and the theory isn't as critical.

dc1985

Yes... yes, I am crazy... The Sicilian was the first opening I learned as Black, before I gained an official rating. I was able to play through it with little to no knowledge. It may just be me, but the Sicilian seems an alright beginner opening.

VML

hi jason. First time to post in a blog. ANyway. If you're White...play e4 as Kasparov recommends. If you're black...e5 is the answer and you continue with the line of the Ruy or Scotch as suggested by some of our frined above. If opponent plays d4...d5 is the answer and then venture with eithere the QGD or Slav. If Nf3...answer with Nf6 and come up wih a solid center...

y0ungbl00d31

Just rember to develop your pieces and protect your e4 or e5 pawn and attack when vuneriable.

DemoCraZy

Try the Ruy Lopez......Or the Taco bell ? lol

Nelso_125

e4

It was the first opening for me, and it worked well for some time because it developed my queen and bishop.

Yemaya
dc1985 wrote:

Yes... yes, I am crazy... The Sicilian was the first opening I learned as Black, before I gained an official rating. I was able to play through it with little to no knowledge. It may just be me, but the Sicilian seems an alright beginner opening.

I'd have to agree. There's no reason the Sicilian should be considered off-limits to a beginner. I have used it as a beginner to really good results a good amount of the time, and I do not find it too difficult or technical.

That said, the best advice I got from a much stronger player was that any opening you know well is a good opening for you. So whatever opening or defense you choose, choose just one and stick with it until you are thoroughly familiar with it -- that could take a year or more of playing regularly/daily on a site like this to feel you are really quite familiar with where an opening can take you and how your opponents of differing strengths play against it. So far, for me, that advice has proven really very helpful.

[I should clarify that by "opening" my mentor meant "opening move" not necessarily an opening line with all theory attached. He meant, choose to play d4 all the time as White, for example, then stick with it, following basic principles from then on out, etc.]

lobosolo21

Get " Logical Chess Move by Move" by Irving Chernev,go through the 33 games and you will improve faster,then, I suggest you look for " Why You Lose At Chess" by Fred Reinfeld (My favorite chess author) fun to read and with many useful insights.Wink

schackspieler

The best opening for a beginner is an endgame book and a great player's game collection. You will learn the basics of openings by studying this way. Even advanced players have trouble learning (memorizing) openings and "you shouldn't start on a long journey if you do not know where you are going".

strommer02

my first opening was schoalars the one where you get your bishup protecing your queen like this

j_brodu

Simple openings like the Four Knight's Game is what I'd suggest. Also, the Ruy Lopez is good.

eaglex

italian game

fiver

queen's gambit.  try to get to this position