Sicilian Defense: Closed
The 2.Nc3 of the Closed Sicilian introduces a slower way of building up. ...More
The 2.Nc3 of the Closed Sicilian introduces a slower way of building up. Rather than breaking Black's grip on d4 with a quick d2-d4, White plays 2.Nc3 followed by fianchettoing the king bishop, sometimes with a slow attack on the kingside in mind.
- Avoids the heavy theory of the Open Sicilian
- Leads to a slower, strategic type of play, undesirable for many Sicilian players
- Allows Black to develop his pieces comfortably
- Gives Black a good plan of attack with ...b5
- Leaves Black with good control of the d4 square