One of the fundamental variations of 1.d4 is the Queen's Gambit. White ...More
One of the fundamental variations of 1.d4 is the Queen's Gambit. White immediately strikes at Black's central pawn from the side. Although the c4 pawn is not guarded, this is not a 'real' gambit, since White can always get the pawn back if he wants.
- Fights to conquer the center
- Puts immediate pressure on Black
- Gains space
- White may have to spend time getting the pawn back
- Less attacking chances on the black king
- Black may aim to counterattack d4