With the Slav Defense, Black supports his attacked d5-pawn with the c-pawn. ...More
With the Slav Defense, Black supports his attacked d5-pawn with the c-pawn. This way he is able to recapture on d5 with the pawn, maintaining a strong central point; while he also avoids blocking in the queen's-bishop.
- The bishop on c8 is not impeded
- Black maintains a solid central point
- The c4 pawn might soon be attacked
- Black's development is slower
- Hitting back with ...c5 will lose a move
- The c6-square is blocked for the knight