Forums

Are we doing enough to stop cheating?

Sort:
pcor111090

yeah back to the topic....For a first time offense I think a one to two year ban is a good idea and i think that if they have a FIDE rating or a masters title, that it should all be disregarded and that person should start from scratch. Because up to this point all their games are in question and there is way to find out which games they cheated in so it should all be disregarded and the player should have to start over....For a second offense i just think a permanent ban is what they deserve i mean come on if you get caught and punished and you do it again you are obviously determined to cheat so whats another light punishment going to do?

Conflagration_Planet
pcor111090 wrote:

yeah back to the topic....For a first time offense I think a one to two year ban is a good idea and i think that if they have a FIDE rating or a masters title, that it should all be disregarded and that person should start from scratch. Because up to this point all their games are in question and there is way to find out which games they cheated in so it should all be disregarded and the player should have to start over....For a second offense i just think a permanent ban is what they deserve i mean come on if you get caught and punished and you do it again you are obviously determined to cheat so whats another light punishment going to do?

That makes sense.

Bodhiwan

I'm a noob here and by far not even close to most of you guys here in terms of experience etc, but I got interested when reading the topic and read some of the news and wiki's on it. (i.e. bare with me for being the noob with a strong opinion). Since it's pretty clear that these guys know what they are doing, and when evidence is solid, I'd say ban 'em from all competitions for a VERY long time. I can only imagine the stress it puts to their opponent having played someone who cheats. Not only related to the event but every competition after that, being affected by that experience to have to consider the possibility of an opponent cheating. Not to mention how it would spread to others involved and the chess community.

I believe in second chances, very much so, but in this case I have no problem with even a life-time ban in clear-cut cases on a high level of competition. Who would want to play this guy anyway, should they come back after a couple of years? What's that bulge in your pocket dude, is it a phone or do you really just love playing chess? Meh...

salenium
AmaurosisScacchisti wrote:

Id also be interested in cracking down in false accusations of cheating, they damage the integrity of the game almost as much as actual cheating and make it tough for non-chess players to take the game seriously when such mud can be flung with impunity. For example the false charges against Anna Rudolf or the accusations in 2006 championship, if i was in charge the accusers would be stripped of titles and given a 1 year ban or some such. But also tournaments need to be played in secure facilities impenetrable to communications devices, although signal jamming is illegal in the states so some sort of bunker might be called for...

The cheaters will get good at making false accusations.  They will do this patially to see what steps are taken to stop cheating.

Narz

Lifetime ban & stripped of title.