Forums

Why is there a Women's World Championship?

Sort:
TheGrobe

It's not reasonable or realistic to expect everyone to tip-toe around everyone else.  That's not the way the world works.

netzach

Alas no. World cannot be changed to fit pre-conceived ideas of how we would like things to be...

Isn't that great !

Elubas
TheGrobe wrote:

It's not reasonable or realistic to expect everyone to tip-toe around everyone else.  That's not the way the world works.

Well it's simply not smart to believe that the world works that way Tongue out

I do, however, fully believe that everyone should try to do just that: tip-toe around everyone else. I still make fun of people (subtly) too, but I try my best to limit it.

netzach

Always check the address bar says https://last.fm/login

Elubas
ciljettu wrote:

Always remember Elubas: you do not need anyone's validation. Always believe in your principles even if you are alone against the world. Use any hate against you as a motivation to come back stronger.

Indeed, this is what I live by.

zborg
chrisr2212 wrote:
kborg wrote:

Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. 

"Your true mind is emerging, and it has nothing to do with the mind that is a foreign installation."

What???

Unclear to me what "foreign installation" have to do with a picture of a black wolf, and posts about anarcho-syndicalism.  But hey, what do I know.

The saying "of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most" is on a porcelain disk that hangs above my kitchen stove.  It's a joke for the cook. 

This thread is chockablock with jokes, many of which are so "inside baseball" that only the cognoscente understand them.  But that's point apparently. 

I once met Judit Polgar when she was playing at the New York Open, many years ago.  She looked about 12 years old then, but there was an aura about her.  Most everyone at the tournament saw it, because everyone knew who she was.

Woman GMs and their World Championship rocks.  Don't be a troglodyte and say otherwise.  It doesn't become you, or anyone else on this thread.  So get with the program.

And the OP appears to have left this thread, hundreds of posts ago.  He probably went to the red light district, and had a few more laughs, at everyone's expense.

zborg

@Ciljettu does just enough misdirection and soothsaying of others "odd posts" to make it appear that he might not be holding "extremist views," however construed. 

That bait and switch tactic is evidenced in about a dozen of his posts in this thread alone.  He pushes the same arguments in many other threads, simultaneously.  A very active guy, indeed.

But is anyone actually reading all this blather?  Where is @Snakesbelly when you need him?  Hope springs eternal.

zborg
chrisr2212 wrote:

he might be playing the warthog for the Easter weekend

Laughing  Actually, @Snakesbelly sent me "a humourous post."  Very fitting for this thread.

But the picture won't transfer with this post??  Tried three times.

zborg

It's a photoshoped tri-color murshroom cloud (nuclear explosion) in the shape of a clown's head.  Very entertaining.  Please excuse my computer illiteracy.

AndyClifton
Elubas wrote:

You guys might be less sensitive, but I think you should respect that some people only want humor if it's not at someone else's expense.

Well, I think the whole point with these things is that it's all a matter of degree, even though people are forever discussing them as though they are set in stone somewhere (especially nowadays).

For example:  I would inclined to say that we are less over-sensitive. Smile  And no doubt some unsmiling soul can always claim that any snippet of humor at all is at the expense of someone else (yeres certainly comes to mind in that regard).

Elubas

There is definitely such a thing as clean humor. It usually involves a line that has something to do with the irony of the situation; or perhaps it's an ironic reaction to a situation. Or maybe it's a clever pun. It doesn't have to be mocking a single living thing.

I just think one should have a good idea of what a particular person is comfortable with before saying anything; be cautious. For example, if someone posts on the forums an obvious, or overdone, question, if you don't know the guy, don't assume that he will be ok with spam or a sarcastic answer that implies that his question is stupid until you know him better ("knowing him" online is sufficient Smile). Maybe his question was sincere. I don't have a problem with anything you have done to me, Andy.

lol, not to tell you how to be or anything! (clean humor!)

AndyClifton

Still, I'm not as sure that this definite thing--clean humor--is really as definite as you seem to think it is.  But (appearances notwithstanding) I'm not just a jerk to anybody that comes down the pike...if people are sincerely inquiring about something, I usually try to be of some help (as helpful as I can be anyway).

But all of this is a two-way street.  A lot of chessplayers seem almost to want to take offense at everything (especially--I repeat--nowadays); and I get a bit tired of people automatically apologizing for fear of giving offense, when really they might be saying, "Hey, don't be such a wienie, huh?"  I mean, it makes you wonder how some of these ever got through life (especially junior high!) with such thin skins (and lack of backbone).

Ungodly arrogant bozos I don't have a lot of patience with either (and what do you know?--they seem to not be uncommon at a chess site). Smile  Seems to me that those types can stand to be taken down a peg or two (well, actually I guess they can't stand it...but anyway, you know what I mean).

AndyClifton
chrisr2212 wrote:
aw man, only met and played Efim Geller and Jonathon Mestel myself, memorable as those encounters were...

Wow really?!  That's amazingly cool! (especially playing Geller).

Elubas

I think you can go wrong either way, Andy. Being too thin-skinned is not healthy -- one has to be able to cope with situations, even if the other person is doing something impolite. In other words, you can't let a comment or two ruin your entire day.

...However, calling people thin-skinned is also often used as an excuse to justify rude comments, just sayin' Wink

Kind of like how on one hand, you can argue that not resigning is impolite (personally I don't, but many people take pride in their resignations), but even if someone is playing till mate, it doesn't necessarily justify you to actually ask them to resign. Hopefully that comparison at least made a little sense. Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose.

AndyClifton

As usual, I always feel like I'm in quicksand when having these sorts of conversations.  Is anything even really being discussed? lol  Not sure it really leads to much...

Elubas

I'm just trying to give you a better idea of where my lack of humor comes from Smile

AndyClifton

Laughing

corrijean

Can someone shed some light on why the humor on this site is "hard to get unless you are an insider"? My perception is that a lot of it consists of pop culture allusions mixed with some more boring stuff like science, math, history, etc.

AndyClifton

Did someone say that "hard to get unless you are an insider" thing earlier?  Sorry, guess I haven't been paying too much attention... Smile

corrijean

Yes. I can't remember who, but it was a few pages ago, I think.

I am usually happy to explain any obcsure posts I make as long as privacy issues aren't involved.

So if anyone is left in the dark, I think they should just ask us.