Forums

Chess openings: theory and practice / I.A.Horowitz

Sort:
Stormstout

Comments? It is in our university library, I will hopefully have it this weekend.

Stormstout

Bump!

SmyslovFan

I loved COTAP! It's a great book that has many interesting games, variations, and descriptions. 

It's an absolute dinosaur now. The closest book in style to it is probably FCO by van der Sterren. I would also recommend Nunn's Chess Openings (about a decade old now) over MCO.

Fikesystems
I still have this book after about 20 years now. Great book. Back then I could easily win chess programs with the Danish gambit; today's programs though? Fa'get about it. Still love the Caro Cann, learned it from this book and loved the way each style was given an introduction.
batgirl

Something about Al Horowitz himself: https://www.chess.com/article/view/the-player-i-d-most-like-to-have-met

kindaspongey
Fikesystems wrote:
I still have this book after about 20 years now. Great book. Back then I could easily win chess programs with the Danish gambit; today's programs though? Fa'get about it. Still love the Caro Cann, learned it from this book and loved the way each style was given an introduction.

Does it have anything about 1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 Nc3 de 4 Nxe4 Nd7 5 Ng5 ?

How about 1 e4 c6 2 d4 d5 3 e5 Bf5 4 Nc3 ?