Forums

chess.com Tactics Trainer - The Woodpecker Method

Sort:
Fer8799

Hi, can anyone share the books that is using for training with the woodpecker method?

It is not clear for me if it is better to train with "simple" problems (e.g. 3 moves themes/combinations) in other to solve a lot of them or more complex, than could take 10 minutes or more.

Thanks!

Fer8799

Thanks for your answer petrip!!

Yep, this is what I also read in the book, but when you see the exercices included in this chapter, they don't look so "easy" as a "mate in three". This is my doubt, he says everthing is fine, but exercices in the book have medium difficulty.

antonreiser

Fer

todo depende un poco de tu nivel; en mi caso, cuando empecé con esto perdí mucho tiempo forzándome a hacer ejercicios bastante complejos para mi nivel; mi consejo es hacer muchísimos ejercicios de táctica simples. para eso la palicación chessimo es excelente, aunque de pago. otra opción es hacer táctica aquí ajustano el rating a niveles bajos, aunque creo que nos epuede repetir.

una vez que estuve unos meses haciendo chessimo e hice unos 10.000 ejericios, empecé a ver muchas cosas que antes no veía enel tablero.

Los ejercicios del libro de A Smith efectivamente son complejos.

otra buen aopción es el libro tactics time, con 1000 ejericios simples para repetir hasta que los puedas hacer cada uno enunos pocos segundos, que es la misma idea que utiliza chessimo.

Si tienes un nivel alto, pues olvida todo esto, claro...

Fer8799

Gracias antón!

Supongo que todo pasa por hacer algo de esfuerzo pero no "bloquearte" en cada ejercicio. 

A que llamas nivel bajo/alto, que elo tienes?

SilentKnighte5
ElKitch wrote:

I dont undestand.. the graph show a ~450 leap from jan 2006-2008. Why is that an improvement of 35 rating points in 10yr time?

Because some people like to argue, math be damned.

SilentKnighte5

Carlsen has only improved by 50 points a year since 2001. Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about that guy.

isauro2013
SilentKnighte5 wrote:

Carlsen has only improved by 50 points a year since 2001. Not sure why everyone makes such a big deal about that guy.

Maybe because Carlsen doesn't have a publisher promising that if you buy his book, you will reach 2800. False advertisement is not a good way to endorse a book.

SilentKnighte5

Reading comprehension is oh so difficult.

Atomic_Rift

Hey, I have that book too! I do reccomend it to anyone who is serious on improving. 

InDetention

Congratulations to Axel Smith...

He is now a GM!!

Atomic_Rift

Hooray! I knew he could do it with his own training program. Smile

SilentKnighte5

I bet longo feels pretty stupid now.

bioman88

I think the idea is in principle right.  The guy said that you need to solve many tactics with a level that is not to hard and the repeat. That is exactly how we learn in school, for example to write. You write thye letters once and again and again... and finally one day you can write words..; and later on sentences... Same thing for a guy learning how to play the guitar or piano, you repeat and repeat basic chords, once you have good control of that you can start playing songs and more complex things... in my opinion it is worth a try... 

GWTR

Now available on chessable!

oldplodder

Totally absurd to use 10 years of the authors ratings to attack the woodpecker book.    You might as well use his ratings from then first year that he played chess in order to incorrectly use the maximum number years that he was not using the woodpecker method.    He never claimed to be using the method during that 10 year period and there is no evidence he was.   He claimed that he got the method from his co-author and had a rapid gain in a limited time.   These comments reek  with dishonesty - first using ratings from years that are not relevant and the snide comments about using Rybka.    This is just trolling. 

hendrixwmaine

Everybody plateaus at some point, did longo2012 really expect this guy to continue improving 150 points a year for 6 more years after 2008 and be like 3200 in order to be take him seriously?

The point is he was 2100, and 2 years later he was 2500. As an adult that's actually nuts. 

Of course there is debate about how much the other stuff like working with Ulf did, but taking periods before he started this method and all the time since and averaging it is just dumb. The plateau is natural, even if he stays 2500 forever that's great.