Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

usb chess board 101


  • 3 years ago · Quote · #1

    jimmy_patterson

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #2

    AnthonyCG

    Awesome pics. How long have you been working so far?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #3

    Robotvinnik

    Hi Jim Excellent work by you and Matt. I have hard wired my DIY sensory board to the USB control unit connections that are visible in one of your photos. The top eight connections on the USB control unit are wired and terminated onto eight strips of 1" self adhesive aluminium foil tape to the underneath of a vinyl chess board. This provides the input for the 1-8 co-ordinates. The underneath eight connections on the USB control unit are wired and terminated onto another eight strips of foil tape this time stuck to a separate piece of wood that forms the bottom of the chess board. These provide the input for the A-H co-ordinates. Between the two is a piece of cardboard with small squares cut out. The cardboard stops the two layers of foil tape stop touching one another until you press a square and then the foil strips touch one another and complete the move circuit. Very cheap and easy to make. I will try and add some photos in the near future. Regards from England Bryan
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #4

    jimmy_patterson

    AnthonyCG wrote:

    Awesome pics. How long have you been working so far?


    01-15-2011and before that. been looking for better software for 3 years.Thank to Matt we all found it.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #5

    N2UHC

    I'm interested because I'm an electronics nut, but how is this any better than using a regular chess game program with 3D graphics, such as Fritz or Chessmaster?  Is it the ability to better study the board?

    Oh and what are the little pushbutton switches on each square for?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #6

    jimmy_patterson

    Robotvinnik wrote:
    Hi Jim Excellent work by you and Matt. I have hard wired my DIY sensory board to the USB control unit connections that are visible in one of your photos. The top eight connections on the USB control unit are wired and terminated onto eight strips of 1" self adhesive aluminium foil tape to the underneath of a vinyl chess board. This provides the input for the 1-8 co-ordinates. The underneath eight connections on the USB control unit are wired and terminated onto another eight strips of foil tape this time stuck to a separate piece of wood that forms the bottom of the chess board. These provide the input for the A-H co-ordinates. Between the two is a piece of cardboard with small squares cut out. The cardboard stops the two layers of foil tape stop touching one another until you press a square and then the foil strips touch one another and complete the move circuit. Very cheap and easy to make. I will try and add some photos in the near future. Regards from England Bryan

    Great job. I have tryed wire and easy liner shelf liner instead of cardboard and tape.Will try tape. what size holes do you use.I have use 1/4" foam to seperate conections.You have skype? Would like to talk.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #7

    jimmy_patterson

    N2UHC wrote:

    I'm interested because I'm an electronics nut, but how is this any better than using a regular chess game program with 3D graphics, such as Fritz or Chessmaster?  Is it the ability to better study the board?

    Oh and what are the little pushbutton switches on each square for?


    3d is not real to me i see the board better.On that board the contacts are on the bottum.On later boards contacts under board.I have about 6 boards made with different parts.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #8

    jimmy_patterson

    echecs06 wrote:

    and your point is?


    The blog is for people who have dream cheeky usb chess boards.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #9

    N2UHC

    I was referring to the second picture in which you have those tiny tactile pushbutton switches.  Was that the prototype for making the contacts for each piece?

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #10

    jimmy_patterson

    N2UHC wrote:

    I was referring to the second picture in which you have those tiny tactile pushbutton switches.  Was that the prototype for making the contacts for each piece?


    You are right the contacts are on the top ,but it work better under the board.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #11

    Robotvinnik

    Hi Jim Please contact me at bryan.whitby@btinternet.com I did send you a PM the othe day. Regards Bryan
  • 3 years ago · Quote · #12

    jimmy_patterson

    new board.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #13

    Robotvinnik

     

    For anyone interested in a bit of DIY, I have designed two easy and cheap USB Chess Boards that connects to the Dream Cheeky USB Chess Board Control Unit that enables you to play against chess programs like Fritz, Arena and Chessmaster.

    The first board a full size wooden chess board, uses momentary switches. The second board is a full size vinyl press sensory board that uses self adhesive aluminium foil tape to relay the moves.

    As you will see, you won’t need any electronics experience but if you’ve done a little bit of soldering that might come in handy.

    Here’s the link:

    http://usbchessboard.yolasite.com/

     

     

     

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #14

    Kittysafe

    That is awesome.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #15

    jimmy_patterson

    Kittysafe wrote:

    That is awesome.


    I thank it is.Taking a chess board to a new level. it can be a cheap chess recorder.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #16

    derekd88

    would it be possible to put an unique rfid in each piece and a detector under each square?

    also in the software a voice announcement of the move would assist blind players to get started.

    just a few thoughts

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #17

    jimmy_patterson

    derekd88 wrote:

    would it be possible to put an unique rfid in each piece and a detector under each square?

    also in the software a voice announcement of the move would assist blind players to get started.

    just a few thoughts


    Software already done called kchess.i use it.  But i am not blind.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #18

    marce1989

    Lookes to me like you had the idea first. I found your videos on Youtube "jimmy72148". Jimmy had a board working 01-14-11?Robotvinnik
     his 07-25-11.He converted his cube board to your idea.The web site he has is great.Jimmy do you sale boards ,if so how much.  Great work by you three. Added you as friend on chess.com.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #19

    marce1989

    jimmy_patterson wrote:

    new board.


     Nice looking board Jimmy.

  • 3 years ago · Quote · #20

    Robotvinnik

    Yes Jimmy did indeed make the first board and let's not forget Matt who without his excellent software all this would not have been possible. Me and Jimmy have used different move communication methods with our boards, so it will be good to see if anyone else could build a board with a new idea.

Back to Top

Post your reply: