Forums

What positional chess book should i read next? PLEASE HELP

Sort:
aidin299
Yes ! Being a chess coach is such a strange thing for you ?!.... Come on !
AndyClifton

Maybe it's more your rating that has me wondering...

aidin299
Ok! It's my son's statics playing with my IPad with chess.com app ;-)
AndyClifton

aha! Smile

aidin299
In any case if the phrase ( teacher) is something unfamiliar , I can say it doesn't differ with chess coach or chess trainer so much. Chess teachers work mostly on fundamental of chess learning and study. Recently I have a long email conversation with Dan Heisman about this .( and mainly a debate about correction of one of examples in his errata about his book ( looking for trouble).Then we went on Skype ,and finally betting on that case ! A cluster will determine the winner !
Daeru

I'd recommend 

"It's Your Move" from Chris Ward

It isn't all positional ideas, it gives you a position and gives you 5 different players' ideas(tactical or positional). You get points for the selections you make. 

aidin299
" The Penguin book of Chess positions " is the book I mostly recommend or give to my students if I want them to test and solve positional puzzles. It works ! .....also Chris Ward's book is excellent.;-) ....another good news is that Mr. Khmelintsky is writing a " test your chess : positional" book .....so stay toned !
Bronco
aidin299 wrote:
In any case if the phrase ( teacher) is something unfamiliar , I can say it doesn't differ with chess coach or chess trainer so much. Chess teachers work mostly on fundamental of chess learning and study. Recently I have a long email conversation with Dan Heisman about this .( and mainly a debate about correction of one of examples in his errata about his book ( looking for trouble).Then we went on Skype ,and finally betting on that case ! A cluster will determine the winner !

Could you elaborate? Are you talking about a mistake in Dan Heisman's book (typo)? Or his principles/practices of teaching and learning chess?

UnratedGamesOnly
Heidrich wrote:

Hello Everyone. I am a 1300 on chess.com but after reading Amateurs Mind and Reassess your chess 4th edition, and SIlmans complete endgame course. All three books by Jeremy Silman. I have beaten two 1400's and a 1500 on chess.com. Please what book should i read next now that i have a very basic understanding of posiiton. Also, what book do i read after those? Please help me

Book wise there isnt much out there postionally after Silmans book.  What will help you is going over the game of former world champion Petrosian. 

aidin299
Hi bronco ,..... Dan usually sends an errata ( a correction list) for each of his books by email if you request . These are often correction of some few mistakes in his diagrams and solutions .Initially we were discussing about another matter( about his last book : a guide to chess improvement). He offered me and then sent errata of his another book : looking for trouble. I investigated that and may be concidentaly , found something which I think is an error in one of lines. Then the debate started on that specific example ! I think he is one of the best chess teachers over the world and also his scientific approach to learning chess is unique.
Bronco

thanks for the insight. I just downloaded Looking For Trouble in ibooks. I'll send him an email for the errata. He always responds very quickly. Thank you!

aidin299
You are welcome !
TheTimeToWin

I'd also like to add that "Grandmaster Chess Strategy" and "How Karpov Wins" are two books that I found very helpful. Depending on your experience, a course such as the one prepared by Josh Waitzkin for Chessmaster can be of benefit for beginners.

Michael-G

"THEIR book is now suitable for a novice to improve with least possible effort."

Exactly that is the problerm.They all want to improve with the "least possible effort".They all want "chewed food" and when their improvement hits a giant wall they wonder why did that happened.

I will agree , if you want to "improve" with the least possible effort read Groten and Helsten(again , who?)

But if you want to understand chess , it needs effort , it needs books that are not easy , it needs to seriously sit down in front of the board with a serious book and analyse.If you want to really IMPROVE read Pachman , Kotov , Keres and other classics.

Chess is like music , if you can "play" the classics you can play anything.(chess student) 

TonyH

there are classics but those are always the starting point for later books. Nimzovitch is a classic and still excellent but there are better books that break down topics in a more understandable manner. "My System" was groundbreaking at the time and explained a lot about master level thinking. There are superior books now though. 

ChessisGood

Try reading some works of Kotov. They are a bit harder than Silman, but well worth the effort.

stwils
I am surprised that no one has mentioned "Simple Chess" by Michaej Stean as a good positional book. Stwils.
TonyH

Oh ya steans book is great and There are two newer ones in the same style my emms simple chess and more simple chess both quite good.

stwils
I have Emms' Simple Chess also. But don't have his 2nd one. Is it as good as his first?
JonatWork

Logical Chess. Irving Chernov. Older revisions are better in my opinion.