Forums

Aggressive Response to 4...Nf6 in the Scotch

Sort:
The_Gavinator

Actually, I recently watched a video specificly about the Parham done by IM andrew Martin, and he had many good things to say about it. He said it is DEFINETLY better than its reputation, and also that when you play it, white has all the chances, which I find true. To accurately defend the Parham, it gets you very cramped.

The_Gavinator

No he did not. He has one for about every opening under the sky though.

CHCL

@The_Gavinator, could you show me the link. Seriously, the Parham is under rated, but it is still bad.

Rubidium

The Bongcloud is completely brilliant

I am so surprised why no WC rarely (if ever) played it. The tournament directors must have decided it was illegal, as it is such a great winning opening, and give white too much of an advantage.
The_Gavinator

Sure: chesscube.com, get 2500 cubits, and go to the store, and rent the video "Ultrashock weapons: 1. e4 e5 2. Qh5!?".

Metastable

I tried opening with the the Parham once. When I regained consciousness, I was in a hotel bathrom, lying in a bathtub full of ice water. Written on the mirror in lipstick, were the words "Do not move. Call 911. Your kidneys have been removed". Never again.

Rubidium

Funny, the same thing happened to me, only it was for Roy Lopez.

The_Gavinator

That's funny you'd say that, because all the games involved 2000+ players. In the Nf6 gambit line, white is the same player as in the 2nd game. That player managed to get a draw out of a player 500 points higher than him, and a win out of a player 300 higher than him. How would you feel if a 2000 managed to get a draw out of you with the Parham? That's what he did in the 2nd game that was analyzed.

Rubidium

Actually IM pfren, I am slightly curious of the c3 move by white. 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Nc6 3.Bc4 g6 4.Qf3 Nf6 5.c3!? could you give me some lines for good play by black? Thanks.

CHCL

If you are interested in the Parham please analyze at a different forum.

The_Gavinator

We had a forum for that, but that got closed down because you're not allowed to share ideas on this site.

CHCL
Rubidium wrote:

Actually IM pfren, I am slightly curious of the c3 move by white. 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5 Nc6 3.Bc4 g6 4.Qf3 Nf6 5.c3!? could you give me some lines for good play by black? Thanks.

5...Bh6!? followed by Na5 looks strong for Black.

CHCL

@Gavinator,  That is not true. There was to much swearing on that forum.

The_Gavinator

Lol that is definetly not true. Usually when people have different ideas people tell them they suck and that's it. I tried to be helpful by posting sample games, lines, and also talking about players who have played this, so therefore the thread was closed. There's swearing on this thread, it's not closed, there was a thread a while back where some creepy guy was hitting on a 15 year old girl, that's not closed. Mine just involved a different idea.

CHCL
The_Gavinator wrote:

Lol that is definetly not true. Usually when people have different ideas people tell them they suck and that's it. I tried to be helpful by posting sample games, lines, and also talking about players who have played this, so therefore the thread was closed. There's swearing on this thread, it's not closed, there was a thread a while back where some creepy guy was hitting on a 15 year old girl, that's not closed. Mine just involved a different idea.

You wern't the main reason that it was closed.

The_Gavinator

I know that. Creativity is.

Rubidium

Thank you for those lines, IM. I was just a bit curious (I don't usually play ...e5 anymore). But useful to remember! Thanks!

The_Gavinator

That's funny, Andrew Martin didn't seem to think it was that stupid. Here's a quote from him "This opening is definetly much better than its reputation".

It's just that everyone on here is so unwilling to look at new ideas, they just immediately say its bad, they won't even look at it, and say "Everyone HAS to use the same thing". There's a word for that, it's called communism.

OMGClassic

Some of my closest friends have been communists.  None of them ever brought their queens out too early.

Rubidium

Everyone has to use the same thing

A few pros played as black 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6

like Bill Wall.

There are plenty of innovative players. Tony Miles played 1...a6.

It just isn't usually played because it is worse.

This forum topic has been locked