Forums

art of planning (Petroff def.) part 1/25

Sort:
C_H_E_S_STAR

Please note that all the info. in this post are taken from outside sources, they will be mentionned in the last section (special thanks and others sources section)..AND DON'T FORGET TO ALWAYS LOOK FOR COMMENTS UNDER EACH DIAGRAMS!!!

Petroff (russian) defense

Alexander Dmitrievich Petrov (Александр Дмитриевич Петров) (1794-1867) was one of who help to popularized the Petroff defense. He was born in Russia at Biserovo (near Pskov) in 1794 into a noble family.  He was a great chess player already in 1809, becoming the best Russian player at the age of 15!!  Alexander Petrov was not only a chess player but also a chess writer, who has wrote many chess books.  He died in 1867.

Zoom out section: 

This opening have the reputation to be "drawish" at a high level.  But for me, this opening sound like solid and pretty fun.  In this post, we will study 11 differents variations of the Petroff defence: the Nimzowitsch variation, Jaenisch variation, Cochrane variation, Steinitz variation, classical attack,Tchigorine variation, the french attack variation, Lasker variation, the Italian variation, 3 knights variation and finally the Kaufmann attack variation.

Zoom in section:

1-Nimzowitsch Variation:

This system often aim to a quick development.  Frank Marshall employed this opening very frequently and we will be able to see him in action right now in the very next game..

In this previous game, we saw black sacrifice a pawn early in the game to start an attack on the e-file.

2-Cochrane variation:

Often the Petroff defence have the reputation to be boring...well, look at this one and think about it...

In the previous game, we saw that White has two pawns for the sacrificed piece in this rapid attack and this result with a Black's King very vulnerable,.. therefore his compensation is obvious....

3-Jaenisch variation:

In the previous game, we saw the Ne4 supported by pawns d5 and f5 creates many tactical threats and White has to be careful since one mistake can be decisive...

4-Steinitz variation:

In the previous game, White visibly try to make an early pressure on e5 square.. 

youtube "excellent" link section:

LET'S SEE ANOTHER STEINITZ VARIATION on the next pretty instructive youtube link (extremely fast to load and easy to use..just double-click on it,watch and  click on the previous webpage button to come back here (Don't close the windows, just back up!!.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYxTBUg7xY

5-"Classical attack" variation:

In the previous game, we saw that after playing 9. ...f5, Black showed clearly his intention, he does not want to bring his light squared bishop back, he just wants to launch an attack!!...

6-Tchrigorine section:

LET'S SEE ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF  TCHRIGORINE VARIATION..

7-French attack variation section:

8-Lasker variation section:

9-Kaufmann attack section:

In the previous game, we saw that here, White aim d5 and Black keep an eye on e5 square.. 

10-Italian variation section:

Please note that the next variation (11), will be presented in the Nathalia Pogonina's games section, at the end of this topic!...

To be Avoided section:

Some of my personnal (Very instructive) games section:

The first game is a live chess game here on chess.com.  The impossible computer have the White and i (C_H_E_S_STAR) got the Black pieces..I lose deadly from a russian opening..big defeat, but instructive one anyway. Let's see..

In the next game, once again i choose a game with a big defeat for me.  But this section is for learning something,.. so it's better for me to show a bad lose on Petroff def. that an easy win without any interrest..

This next game was an online chess game played here at chess.com.  My friend (Oldbill) play White and i (C_H_E_S_STAR) play the black pieces..  A quick defeat for me. 

another from my friend Oldbill..

The next game, is a game between me and Fritz 10 (at competition level (1592)).  I i've the Black and Fritz play White. Once again, it's about a defeat for me..The variation used here is a Jaenisch one.

More about planning section:

here is another "MAIN ideas" behind this opening..

For White:  - Often is good to not allow the exchange of the light Bishop

- White often aim e5 early in the game 

For Black:  - Black often aim e4 early in the game

Quebecor chess game section:

I live in Québec, Canada.  And i receive, each 2 months, a local chess review (échec +) from my chess federation (fédération québécoise des échecs).  So this section will be only for quebecor chess games according with the appropriated subject (here the Petroff def. planning) each time for sure.  Let's see an example of the "Quebecor Petroff": a game between Sylvain Barbeau with the White pieces and François Léveillé with Black.  This game was played at Montréal city in 2009. It's a pretty spectacular Nimzowitsch Variation of the Petroff defence!!

Natalia Pogonina's games section: 

11-3Knights variation section:

I've think that it will be a good idea to do this section in honor of WGM Nathalia Pogonina.  For each theme, i will present a Nathalia Pogonina games according with.. (this time, the Petroff def.).  I've found a game of a variation that we didn't study anymore for the moment: the 3 knights variation. Let's see..   

Special thanks section:

I just wanna said a BIG SPECIAL THANKS at Borgqueen, thanks my friend for give me some good ideas for the structure of this post..

AND ALSO, a BIG THANKS at:   WWW.pogonina.COM

thamizhan, Gserper, Arunabi, FM_Eric_Schiller, Oldbill !! Thank you all for make this topic possible!!! ...The thamizhan, Gserper, Arunabi, FM_Eric_Schiller content's was a GREAT HELP!!!

Others references:

-ChessMaster 10

-Fritz 10

-Chess books       - Petroff defense (A.Raetsky & M. Chetverik)

- review: Échec+, no 189 (jan-feb 2010), p.20

- youtube                                                         

-wikipedia

That's ALL for the Petroff!.. I hope you had appreciated ;)

C_H_E_S_STAR 

C_H_E_S_STAR
xlptu wrote:

good stuff

Thanks.

Conquistador

Personally I like 3.Nc3 the best.

Conquistador

No advertising 14620562!

I smell a bot who advertises without playing games!