Forums

basic opening question 1. d4 c3

Sort:
EliasAStern

EDIT: IN THE TITLE I MEANT C6 NOT C3. MY APOLOGIES

I have to confess that when people play 1.d4 i have gotten into the habbit of playing c6 preparing to play d5 next. i find that maybe 70 percent of the time it usually transposes into the caro kahn and i find that i usually get an alright position. is there a reason this is a bad move. i cant find it in the opening data base which makes me really suspicious. thanks for the help

elias

OliverRainchild

Try 1.d4 c6 instead.  c3 is on white's side of the board.  1...c6 is an extremely common first move.

EliasAStern

o really sorry. ill fix that right away :)

jtd200

Hey IM pfren - I'm a caro player, and love my results with it for the most part...  Do you feel I should consider playing Slav, with all of the chances to transpose into the Caro?  I currently play the Nimzo/Queen's Indian/Benoni, depending upon white's 3rd move, and don't mind playing them, but I've always wondered if my reportoire should be more "thematic," rather than just picking openings I like...

ghostofmaroczy
jtd200 wrote:

Hey IM pfren - I'm a caro player, and love my results with it for the most part...  Do you feel I should consider playing Slav, with all of the chances to transpose into the Caro?  I currently play the Nimzo/Queen's Indian/Benoni, depending upon white's 3rd move, and don't mind playing them, but I've always wondered if my reportoire should be more "thematic," rather than just picking openings I like...

Does the Slav ever transpose to the Caro?  Seems to me you would be better off playing the Semi-Tarrasch if you want to reach Panov-style IQP positions.

jtd200

Hrm, good point - I guess I was thinking more of 1.d4 c6 lines, when if black plays e4 we have a normal Caro.