Forums

Creating my Nimzo-Indian Repertoire?!

Sort:
Irontiger
Marcus-101 wrote:

Haha I wonder... Seriously though for me I feel much more 'at home' in the positions particularly after 4.e3. I guess most people play the Nimzo for the positions after Black doubles the pawns whereas I don't..

Well, the doubled pawns are something concrete you can build an attack on.

Whereas the lead in development after 4.Qc2 is much a win-or-die situation. If you have been slowly crushed by a pair of bishop before, you know what it means.

Marcus-101

Okay, I will look out for that!

GasconJR

Study the typical pawn structures... I suggest to you the idea of playing Bb4 and play with d6, Qe7 and later e5 the idea is to exchange the Dark Square Bishop and put the pawn on the dark squares because all your remaining minor pieces should be very good. I personally doesnt like the variation used by pfren not because its bad a lot of top players use it but its a matter of tastes.

Marcus-101

Do you mean a Huebner variation?

Marcus-101

I really don't think I fully understand the positions after c5 and d5. Interesting game though pfren

GasconJR

Typical theme of that variation! 16.Nd4!! Moskalenko write a book about opening and talk a lot about the Nimzoindian more specifically that variation.

tonylu75491

I like 4...b6 against 4.e3 and 4.Nf6. It also helps to learn the QID with this as transpositions often occur. I like Dearing's Play the Nimzo Indian and Greet's Play the Queen's Indian. 

triggerlips

What I like about the Nimzo is you can play it without knowing much theory. Black has enough flexibility to have more than one plan.   Better than openings where you are having to walk a tightrope just to survive.

Basically try to control e4 and if swap bishop stick some pawns on black squares   

Biggest problem with the Nmzo is white playing a boring Queens indian instead

Yigor
Marcus-101 wrote:

What does it suggest against 4.a3, 4.f3, 4.Nf3 and 4.Bg5? Those are the lines I need to prepare something against. 

• 4....Bxc3 on 4. a3
  • 4...d5 on Kmoch variation 4. f3
  • 4...h6 or 4...c5 on Leningrad variation 4. Bg5

The Bogo-Nimzo-Indian 4. Nf3 is a long separate topic. wink.png

kindaspongey

https://www.newinchess.com/Shop/Images/Pdfs/7361.pdf