Forums

Help about an opening

Sort:
Jitesh

I normally end up playing these moves as white.

Will appreciate some advice on it.

Scottrf

You're probably doing ok if you get all your pieces out before black has any.

I've never seen black play like that though.

fissionfowl

The opening can't be played in isolation. You need to give some sensible moves for Black as well or else no help can be given.

Gilded_Candlelight

lol yeah I think  black would be way ahead in development and already have castled, with a better opening. His knights are undeveloped and he has weak pawns in his chain. Seems like its better to ask how he even got into this position. I probabaly dont understand the question

fissionfowl

I will say though that in the final position b5 is nothing to worry about. It's completely "jumping at ghosts" to be afraid of it.

Scottrf

The not moving the same piece twice rule only really applies if the move your opponent makes is useful. I constantly read people saying a move 'gains a tempo' when it's a useless move.

ponz111

In your line [and Black played poorly]  you can go for Qd2 which threatens the Black Pawn on h6 if Black 0-0.  But you probably played "ok" moves but not the best moves.

I probably would have played 4. f4  and then put knight on f3 and later you will have the threat of f5.  The h3 move by Black was very bad.

Gilded_Candlelight

The real thing we should be asking is you is "How did you convince your opponent to play like that?" Who needs to practice chess and improve their rating when your opponent is just pushing pawns and waiting to be attacked.

Jitesh

Ok - I guess I need to post a game with better moves from black.In any case, 5.Be3 is surely bad?

Gilded_Candlelight

You could leave him on c1 or fianchetto him. I bet black castles kingside most the time here. 

openingtheory1

i think you're asking about more the general setup you're producing here in the french? honestly that setup is O.K. and will win in this position but against more trying moves this same setup would be difficult for white if black understood how to capitalize on a superior position. 

so here goes:

in this type of setup where e4 and d4 are allowed to exist continually, blocking the c pawn with the queen's knight is not typically ideal, though can work given a more limited set of moves (kind of like how the queen's gambit accepted can work in very finite and limited lines, but generally doesn't without very specific play. this example with nc3 blocking c2-c3 or c2-c4 is like that, but to a lesser extent) 

be3 actually is alright (not great), but may be premature given your other options (relative to your pieces, will still work here, but against better play this setup may be less flexible as the ideal place for the dark bishop is probably not defined yet [black in other instances could play moves the would counter be3 well, or play moves that counter other places for this bishop well}) the dark bishop is usually one of the later developed pieces in the french defense

bc4 is alright and it really doesn't matter that black can force it to move twice with b5 (fischer variation of the najdorf sicilian does something similar, and here the repercussions to this loss of tempo are also not noteworthy). bd3 is though a more technically sound move as in this arrangement some of white's best ideas are to play off of the pressure that bd3 will exert on the b1-h7 diagonal, even causing black to castle queenside in some variations! bd3 is also typically played relatively early, like after nf3, but does not necessarily have to be. it is just safer to rely upon if you don't know exactly what you are doing. 

so generally in the french (assumedly against a stronger set of moves) i would say that this type of setup is alright for white, try and get pawns on e4 and d4 like you did here, play bd3 instead of bc4, move the dark bishop much later, don't play nc3 when there is a pawn on c2, play either c3 if the d pawn is attacked by another pawn or c4 if it isn't, in the case of playing c4 play nc3 afterwards, in the case of a pawn being on c3 play either nbd2 or na3, but much later, and castle kingside. 

this is a moderately aggressive opening for white when played accurately, or at least in most variations. i usually end up moving the king's knight from f3 to d2 (i don't usually play nbd2) and play f4 with the idea of attacking the e and f files, but this is all as everyone is saying highly situational and this advice should be followed when possible, and not otherwise. i can't calculate your games for you so you should do what makes sense, but the general setup listed above is generally more technically sound (like it would be in the board you posted on this forum). 

ponz111

after 1. e4  e6  2. d4  h3??? Black probably has a theoretical lost game

after the continuation 3. Nc3  g6  White should probably play

4. f4  because if you look at the Black position it calls for White to

play 4. f4  and develop his position and if Black 0-0 you can break open his position with a timely  f5.

4. f4 also reinforces the white center. 

White also has good play if Black decides to 0-0-0

Jitesh

Thanks OpeningTheory for your detailed response.

So this opening is not that bad.Need to look at the options mentioned in your post more closely.

Thanks Ponz and others too for your inputs.

To hoynck,about my rating in online chess - online chess gives you a lot of time to think and play - so even if you do not open well,you can play some good moves in middlegame and gain.