Forums

Need a Calmer Opening with Black Against e4

Sort:
Anonymous_U

So far as Black I have been playing the Sicilian Dragon against White's e4 and the Benoni Defense -> Benko Gambit against White's d4.  

Now that's what I always use against d4 because I love attacking on the queen side, and for some reason, even if they decline my gambit at first sight, a few moves later, they'll go ahead and accept it!  Then I get to harass them on the queen side!  I use this opening regardlless of if my opponent is higher or lower in ratings.  It doesn't really mater because if they're higher, well they'll just defend, but if they are lower, they are going to have a pretty hard time.

My Benko Gambit response is sort of like a, "That's what you get for starting out with d4, start out with e4," response.

The problem I'm having is that the Sicilian Dragon is a great variation against people around the same rating or below because in this variation of the Sicilian there will be lots of chaos, and it all depends on who can outplay their opponent.  If anyone slips up, it's game over!  It's really fun playing the Dragon.

The problem is that I'm too scared to take it up against higher rated players because they'll probably destroy me.  So I need a little bit calmer response that still gives you sharp tactical lines, but doesn't involve as much chaos just because I don't want to get beat in the Dragon against a higher rated opponent.  I'm thinking about maybe switching to the Najdorf variation if my opponent is signficanly higher than me in ratins.  

What do you think?

By the way I'm Class C strength if that helps...

I know you'll say, "Don't study openings..." Well I already did!  I looked at the Dragon!  I'm also studying endgames and tactics along with the opening.  I just went and got Silman's Endgame Book yestarday.  I have a lot of free time and it doesn't hurt to study the opening as long as I'm doing other stuff as well... 

santoy55

The caro-kann is great.

You can adobt the Lars Schandorff repertoire(published by quality chess).

0-0 in the classical variation to have a most intertaining game then with 0-0-0 and play 3...Bf5 in the advance vraition and you will have solid but no dull game.

Neslanovac

Don t change the opening, just practise and learn to get better in it.

Anonymous_U

No french!  No closed games!  No caro-kann!  I want sharp tactical lines!

ChessisGood

If you like the dragon, keep it. Learn all the tactics that occur, know how to survive the traps, play lots of games, focus on tactics, and you should be fine. Don't worry if they're rated higher. If you are trying to beat a better player, you've got a much better chance beating him with tactics than trying to outplay him positionally.

However, if you're convinced that you need to change openings, it wouldn't hurt to try one of those things you are so adamantly protesting. Actually, this has two benefits:

• First, playing in that style will help tone your positional skill. For non-tactical players, switching to e4 is great for learning tactics better. In the same way, playing the Caro-Kann will teach you the basics of positional chess.
  • Also, openings like the French and Caro-Kann can become extremely tactical and sharp. Just look at some Panov-Botvinnik lines and you will see what I mean! Not to mention the Advance Variation of the Caro-Kann. This way, you can get a feel for your opponent and try to play against his style. If he seems like a lover of positional chess, open it up and play for some crazy tactics! If not, keep it closed and slowly squeeze him.

In addition, the Najdorf is a great opening, but you should wait to learn it until you're about 1700 strength. It requires a lot of opening knowledge and has tons of tactical themes, especially if you play variations like the Poisoned Pawn. Consider it a gift to yourself; make a goal (e.g. 1700 rating) and reward yourself with the "privilege" of playing the Najdorf.

Switching openings is a big deal, but it can definitely boost your morale. I'd suggest working with the Caro-Kann for a while, and then switching back to the Dragon or the Najdorf once you significantly improve. By that point, you should be able to make a huge jump in rating points. I followed a similar plan, and just gained 70 points from a couple of tournaments in a single week. Among those, I held two draws against 2200+ players.

Looking at your games, I'd suggest working on a few things. First, you always need to be wary of the endgame. I know that you like tactics, but if you don't get a knockout blow, you should retain some chances for the endgame. Allowing your opponent to many passed pawns is a good example of this.

In general, you could use to work a fair bit on pawn structure. I see a lot of weak pawns in your games, and I think you should work on that some as well. With your style of play, one must always think: "What happens if I don't kill him?"

Also, basic tactics and an understanding of unprotected pieces is a must. I saw a couple of your games where you just left pieces hanging. These need to be fixed.

Also, as Black, I'd suggest playing the Benoni some to go along with the Benko. It is extremely positional while remaining a tactical minefield. It is my favorite opening to play, and would be excellent for helping you improve.

I applaud you on buying Silman's Endgame Manual, but I'd also suggest Amateur's Mind and How to Reassess Your Chess. Good luck in your games, and work on that positional chess!

Anonymous_U
ChessisGood wrote:

If you like the dragon, keep it. Learn all the tactics that occur, know how to survive the traps, play lots of games, focus on tactics, and you should be fine. Don't worry if they're rated higher. If you are trying to beat a better player, you've got a much better chance beating him with tactics than trying to outplay him positionally.

However, if you're convinced that you need to change openings, it wouldn't hurt to try one of those things you are so adamantly protesting. Actually, this has two benefits:

First, playing in that style will help tone your positional skill. For non-tactical players, switching to e4 is great for learning tactics better. In the same way, playing the Caro-Kann will teach you the basics of positional chess. Also, openings like the French and Caro-Kann can become extremely tactical and sharp. Just look at some Panov-Botvinnik lines and you will see what I mean! Not to mention the Advance Variation of the Caro-Kann. This way, you can get a feel for your opponent and try to play against his style. If he seems like a lover of positional chess, open it up and play for some crazy tactics! If not, keep it closed and slowly squeeze him.

In addition, the Najdorf is a great opening, but you should wait to learn it until you're about 1700 strength. It requires a lot of opening knowledge and has tons of tactical themes, especially if you play variations like the Poisoned Pawn. Consider it a gift to yourself; make a goal (e.g. 1700 rating) and reward yourself with the "privilege" of playing the Najdorf.

Switching openings is a big deal, but it can definitely boost your morale. I'd suggest working with the Caro-Kann for a while, and then switching back to the Dragon or the Najdorf once you significantly improve. By that point, you should be able to make a huge jump in rating points. I followed a similar plan, and just gained 70 points from a couple of tournaments in a single week. Among those, I held two draws against 2200+ players.

Looking at your games, I'd suggest working on a few things. First, you always need to be wary of the endgame. I know that you like tactics, but if you don't get a knockout blow, you should retain some chances for the endgame. Allowing your opponent to many passed pawns is a good example of this.

In general, you could use to work a fair bit on pawn structure. I see a lot of weak pawns in your games, and I think you should work on that some as well. With your style of play, one must always think: "What happens if I don't kill him?"

Also, basic tactics and an understanding of unprotected pieces is a must. I saw a couple of your games where you just left pieces hanging. These need to be fixed.

Also, as Black, I'd suggest playing the Benoni some to go along with the Benko. It is extremely positional while remaining a tactical minefield. It is my favorite opening to play, and would be excellent for helping you improve.

I applaud you on buying Silman's Endgame Manual, but I'd also suggest Amateur's Mind and How to Reassess Your Chess. Good luck in your games, and work on that positional chess!

I've already played the caro-kann a WHOLE lot!  I spent a couple weeks ONLY playing Caro-Kann against White.  

Also, doesn't the Dragon have more theory than the Najdorf?  I would think that since the Dragon has a ton of more variations.  I do have time for the Najdorf I think.

One thing, you were saying how I was making mistakes with my pawns and leaving pieces hanging.  This is because I play better otb than online. For some reason, that's how I am.  I don't make this big of mistakes in otb play...

ChessisGood

Well, I have never played the Dragon, but I'll tell you what there is to know about the Najdorf:

Main Lines

6. Be2 - Here, you really need to know a lot about White's different continuations. There are all kinds of ideas that change if White makes a mistake or even plays a sideline, so it is very important to understand them. For example, there are ideas like f4, a4, Bg5, and even Nf3 by White in their respected places, and those are only some of the possibilities! Of course, then you must consider the fact that you can play both 6...e5 and 6...e6, so you must play both for a while and choose what you prefer.

6. Bc4 - The Sozin requires a lot of knowledge, or else you'll get crushed by a f2-f4-f5 pawn push. Also, there are some ideas of Fishcer's in here that are absolutely necessary to learn. For example, there are lines where Black will actually play ...h5 and ...h4 to kick away a knight on g3.

6. Be3 - In the English attack, there is all kinds of theory to learn, including when (and when not!) to sacrifice the exchange on c3 for a killer queenside attack. Also, you must be careful not to be overwhelmed on the kingside.

6. Bg5 - Tons of variations make this main line extremely hard to learn. I suggest the Najdorf PP as it leaves White with a lot of targets. However, you should try all of the variations before choosing one.

Sidelines

6. a4 - This line causes quite a few people some issues, since it prevents b5. You must know how to play against it, or you will be crushed by a knight on b6.

6. f4 - A violent attack, this move requires some strong knowledge of defensive technique. Of course, if you can fight it off, there is plenty of good in store for the second player.

6. h3 - The Adam's Attack is actually quite interesting, and you should study some theory on it before moving on to playing this in tournaments.

Of course, this is only a sampling of what's in store for the Najdorf player. Also, you must remember that a lot of the theory here runs 15 moves deep, and you have already seen how wide the tree of variations splits at move 6. Then, you must learn how to punish all of White's inaccuracies.

It takes a lot of knowledge of opening theory to play the Najdorf, so I'd suggest really studying it a lot. However, like I said, try some new things before moving on to the Najdorf or returning to your Dragon.

Also, two weeks playing the Caro-Kann is nothing. It takes years to get good enough at it to play it reasonably well it tournaments, so I suggest really learning some deep theory if you want opening preparation. Of course, at the end of each line you learn, try to remember some basic plans so you will know where to go from there.

Anonymous_U

I used to actually be a positional player, I switched over to tactical lines.  I know 2 weeks seems like nothing, but I played a LOT!  And I faced quite a bit of variation.  I was playing the advanced variation and I was usually coming out with an even game afterwards.  What I mean is that I did get familiar with the Caro-Kann.  You see, it's only been a weeks since I've switched from positional to tactical openings, not even!  I used to be rotating pieces with the London and I played the English a little bit.  

I honestly don't want to spend much more time on openings.  After learning the Najdorf I'm going to stop with the opening preparation.  I've been studying openings since the end of April and once I learn these Sicilian lines, I pretty much have all the openings I need.

As White, I always will play 1.e4 if they decide to respond with 1...e5, then great, I'll play the Scotch Game or the Ruy Lopez.  If they play the Petrov Defense, I'll just transpose into the Four Knights Game, in which afterwards I can play the Scotch Variation, or the Ruy Lopez just with an extra pair of knights.  If 1...d5, then fine, we'll play the Scandinavian.  

As Black, if they play 1.e4, then Sicilian Dragon/Najdorf, if they play 1.d4, then as I mentioned before, I'll just play the Benoni getting into the Benko Gambit.  If they play 1.c4, then I'll try to transpose into the Benoni from there.  If 1.f4, well there's nothing I can do about that... But the chance of them playing 1.f4 is quite slim...

Anonymous_U

I'll probably just play the Dragon, because the Najdorf is very competitive as well.  I'll perfect my Dragon though as I play it a lot.

TonyH

Ok first dont switch openings. Your issue is not one of opening but of a mental approach. trying to play slower agianst a more knowledgeable player is a sure recipe for failure. As you gain in strength your knowledge base increases and your number of mistakes decreases. In a positional closed game your chances of making a big tactical mistake are smaller but your chances of making small, cumulative positional errors is higher. Lasting 40-50 moves isnt a success, its taking longer to lose. 

I strongly recommend reading Chess for Tigers by Simon Webb it talks about the mental approach in playing against stronger and weaker players and other issues. Its probably the best book I have read on this subject in layman terms.

Helzeth

I'm able to consistently beat a player in our club who is 2000 whenever we play in the d3 kings indian. Doesnt matter that he outranks me, I practice alot in it and have alot of experience with it, that's all that matters.

Don't fear playing stronger players with your strongest opening.

TonyH
Helzeth wrote:

Don't fear playing stronger players with your strongest opening.

+1

Add to that if you are beating players higher rated in you in an opening its a good time for a change. Play what your weakest in. 

Helzeth
Goldenberg wrote:

I'm class C as well.

Personally I think that it's better to play the opening you know best against them. Just go with what you like. Don't be afraid of higher rated opponents. Most of them will actually expect you to go quieter. That's why you should just play explosive.

Personally I would suggest the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon over the regular Dragon. It give you the chance to push an agressive d5 and attack white back

Maroczy bind.
Have fun.

finalunpurez

Gonna bind the hell outta u

Irontiger
AnthonyCG wrote:

So I need a little bit calmer response that still gives you sharp tactical lines, but doesn't involve as much chaos...

Huh?

+1

TonyH

i teach the accelerated dragon and around Class B is when I noticed players start to play the maroczy bind consistently. Before that its rather amusing because they treat it like mainline dragon and try to play the yugoslav attack. ::fail::

Helzeth

I play the bind and I have a record of four wins and two draws (with no real trouble for me).

This isnt the exact same bind (since I don't play e4) but there are some inferior hedgehog attempts that transposes into it and yeah, it's very pleasant for white

Michael-G

You have 1100+ rating and you play Benko and Dragon?

And all the others give you opening advises????

Start studying middlegame and endgame because from your games it is obvious that you have no idea what middlegame and what endgame is.

Forget "sharp tactical lines" , find a coule of simple openings , forget opening study for the next year and study 75% of your time endgame and 25% middlegame.Otherwise in 2 years from now you will wonder why you haven't improved although you know Dragon and Benko so well and none of those who give you advises like "play the Caro Kan" or "play the Najdorf" will be able to help you.

I really like the completely ignorants that give advise to another ignorant trying to help himLaughing.

Opening repertoire for you:

As white 1.e4  or 1.d4 and follow the basic principles

As Black

1...e5 against 1.e4 ,1...d5 against 1.d4 and follow the basic principles.

That is all the opening knowledge you need for now(try not to memorise the lines I give you).

Lesson is free.

blake78613

Play the Classical Sicilian, it is very solid and complements the Dragon.  The first three moves are the same and you can keep your anti-Sicilian repertoire.  It usually leads to the Rauzer attack or the Sozin.

blake78613
TonyH wrote:

i teach the accelerated dragon and around Class B is when I noticed players start to play the maroczy bind consistently. Before that its rather amusing because they treat it like mainline dragon and try to play the yugoslav attack. ::fail::

I think it is an exaggeration to say a Yugoslav attack is a fail against the accelerated dragon.  The critical test would be 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 g6 5.Nc3 Bg7 6.Be3 Nf6 7.Bc4 O-O 8. Bb3 a5 (...Qa5 9.f3 d5 and I think White has an edge.) 9.f3 d5 and wild complications.  I don't think it amounts to a "fail" for White, and  it certainly isn't the calmer alternative to the standard dragon that OP is looking for.