Forums

Need name

Sort:
GreenLeaf14
ScorpionPackAttack wrote:

Lol I thought I invented that =)

I did not invent it...it just came to me one day as a 'novelty' (not necesserily a good one) but i am sure sb else must have used it in the past and as some guys stated before there Masters that used it and maybe still use it

GreenLeaf14

Another name just came to me...Scorpion Defence...it came to me cause a6 seems to me like a scorpion's tail with the stinger or whatever it is called... like here:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/arachnids/scorpion/Scorpionprintout.shtml

Nf6 is like the claw...and a6 the stinger...i know it is silly  butwhatever...it is just for fun:P

GreenLeaf14
scut_fargus wrote:

Call it the Fonzi   -   aaaaa6

Why Fonzi(and also what is tthis name) and why aaaaa6

GreenLeaf14
doduobird123 wrote:

This can transpose to many variations where a6 is helpful, such as the KID, Benoni, or Benko.

I think i had made a diagram about it in the past...see it and teel me what  you think:)

Dragonbice

Go to chesscube.com and play it and it will automatically tell you what it's called - if it has a name already.

grover-dill
GreenLeaf14 wrote:
scut_fargus wrote:

Call it the Fonzi   -   aaaaa6

Why Fonzi(and also what is tthis name) and why aaaaa6

Fonzi was a character on American TV whose trademark saying was "AAAAAAAAAAAA" .  He was supposedly very cool and wore a black leather jacket.

GreenLeaf14

Anyone else think scorpion defense is a suitable name?

Swindlers_List

It doesn't really seem to have much independent value as a system.

If white enters a grunfeld type line, a6 is quite a waste of a tempo, and a waste of a tempo in something like a grunfeld can be decisive.

GreenLeaf14

AssauIt wrote:

It doesn't really seem to have much independent value as a system.If white enters a grunfeld type line, a6 is quite a waste of a tempo, and a waste of a tempo in something like a grunfeld can be decisive.

I though black opts for grunfeld after adopting the KID structure with the exception of d5 instead of d6...right?So how can white push the game to a grunfeld???Can you please explain?

Swindlers_List

I was refering to your earlier diagrams which had lines that followed this:

I dont really see much to be gained from this move order other than hoping for 3.Nf3 and going into a benoni where you avoid some lines. But if this was your aim, other move orders like 2..g6 would be much better.

GreenLeaf14

At this diagram though black can develop a piece first though white has a lot of center space

Swindlers_List

If you enjoy playing these positions, a better move order to reach such an idea is:

QGA Alekhine defense. I play this time to time.

It is a much more logical route to these positions as you do not allow white the option of capturing on d5 and going into grunfeld style stuff.

a6 here threatens to protect c4 in some lines. However it is also seen in the mainline, and is a very useful move:

It prepares a quick b5 so that the bishop may be developed to b7.

Swindlers_List

You could even play g6 and a6 in the QGA to reach a position very similar to your original diagram.

Here's a game from Smyslov:

http://www.chess.com/games/view?id=171806

GreenLeaf14

I see this opening just as a surprise weapon for a quick blitz or bullet game,thinking that most opponents will transpose it to benko or Benoni lines because it will be more familiar for them than trying to make the correct moves in three mins....it also prevents Bb5,I don't really know where this is useful:P,anyway...I was just asking for a name...:)Thanks for sharing your thoughts they are really helpful :),but I would like to hear it better read your name suggestion

Swindlers_List

Gauteng variation?

Although it is not what the opening is named after, 'Benoni' is also a city of the south african province of Guateng.

Since the idea of this opening is to transpose and one of the variations it transposes to is the Benoni, I guess you could say (half-jokingly) that the Benoni is a province of this opening.

The names: Kama, Oka, Vetluga and Sura also come to mind for the variation.

These are tributaries that run off the Volga River. 'Volga Gambit' is another popular name of the Benko gambit before it was rechristened afer its champion.

Other than that idk.

Scorpion seems like a suitable name, but I think there's already a variations named that.

GreenLeaf14

I like this...if no one else has any problem with it I -and everyone else who wants to-will call it the Queens pawn game(Indian Defence) Sura Variation:)Thank you very much for the suggestion

GreenLeaf14

1.h3 2.g4 3.Nf3 4.Bg2 5.O-O and then maybe c4 (d4) Nc3 the move order may vary...I will call this "The M System"