Forums

What opening is this?

Sort:
netzach

Looks like amalgamation of English-Opening (good!) and Sodium-Attack (bad).

umm... Good luck with it! 

AndyClifton

A recent victim of a sodium attack:

mattyf9

Hahaha. Typical Andy. Too bad you're not a master.

AndyClifton wrote:

Gimpalersan wrote:

It would be interesting to see some master's opinions on it though.

Okay, here's one:  it's lame.

Scottrf
Oran_perrett wrote:

it's funny because the sodium attack has a very good score for white... and i genuinely "lol"ed at that andy!

Yeah but the score is probably more to do with the higher rated player having the white pieces in all of those games.

@matty. Andy is a master.

Bill_C

RIP Bobby Flay LOL

+1 andy

InfiniteFlash
mattyf9 wrote:

Hahaha. Typical Andy. Too bad you're not a master.

AndyClifton wrote:

Gimpalersan wrote:

It would be interesting to see some master's opinions on it though.

Okay, here's one:  it's lame.

andyclifton is a uscf NM.

joshuatravian

Gimpalersan. I think the reason that no one is giving you the name of this opening is because it has no name mainly because

1. it creates too many weaknesses in your camp to compensate for the attack on whites king

2. White has faster development

3. And if there are no master games that start like this then that means grandmaster think it is bad

kikvors

Gimpalersan: Na3/Na6 isn't particularly good as a defensive move. A knight on a3 only really defends c2 and c4, and those are hardly the most critical squares in your position. Besides, they aren't even attacked yet! Moves are precious things, you only get a limited amount, and here you spend move 2 defending against something that may never become relevant in the whole game. And why move it now? Isn't there anything more important to do on move 2?

Unless there something concrete in the position, c3 and d2 are just superior squares for the knight to go to. That is because the center is important in every game, and  knights can influence center squares from there.

kkbell420
[COMMENT DELETED]
Bill_C

OK GImpalersan, I have really only a few questions here as in post 6. I am assuming by the bio you must be around 18. So this has to be high school/prep school chess team I assume (or club if that is the description).

My real questions then are thus: are you the best chess player in the club at your school and if so, what the heck are they teaching you guys in terms of opening principles? This is something I would expect in coffee house or rapid (3-5 min controls) play chess as a surprise opening. I would not expect a  club or even hobby player to think this a serious attempt at anything other than a test to see how fast Black can punish White for his mistake?

Please tell me you have abandoned this move for something a bit more useful as of late say 2. Nf3?