Forums

Peasants' Revolt

Sort:
Gingiva

Any of you know of a variation of chess called Peasants' Revolt? Basically, there's a lot of pawns and a king against a few knights, a brainwashed pawn and the other king.

It sound like an interesting variation to me Laughing

dwz

macer75

Looks like a win for white.

GreatNPowerfulTrixie
I always played with this arrangement:

And no, it's not an easy win for white at all. White can be given the advantage by being given one more knight (which I would put on the king's bishop's square).
Ziggy_Zugzwang

I would think the principled position would be white with four knights and no pawn ?

GreatNPowerfulTrixie
Ziggy_Zugzwang wrote:

I would think the principled position would be white with four knights and no pawn ?

That's really tough for white to checkmate. Checkmating with only knights is a pain.

Ziggy_Zugzwang

It serves them right for trying to put a poll tax on the population !

sandraou
My First Version of Peasant's Revolt:

Totally_Winsome
sandraou wrote:
But Peasants Revolt should include knights!  The whole purpose of this variation is to learn and practice the movements of knights.  I was taught this as a child.  It's also a metaphorical demonstration of the power of the little people over the nobles, and of the ability of one person to advance himself as a promoted pawn can become a queen, so mote it always be! It's also a good puzzle for learning about the use and defense of 'screamers' or lone pawns running down either flank. My First Version of Peasant's Revolt:

Totally_Winsome

There is another chess variation I learned as a small child and I taught it to my children and grandchildren when they were very young and first learning to play. I keep my grandchildren quiet when I want to talk to their mothers by letting them play this and it never costs me more than 64 cents to shut them up and get them to do something constructive.  I don't know the name of this game but it's played with a chessboard, one knight and 64 pennies.  The child is instructed to start by placing the knight anywhere, and marking that spot with a penny.  Then the child makes a legal move with the knight and marks the next spot with a penny too. He is not allowed to land on any square twice, but the object of the game is to land on all 64 squares.  If he ends up with a penny on all 64, he can keep them.  This teaches skill with the knights and it's fairly difficult to hit each square once but none twice. It requires a very symmetrical pattern of legal movements.  

J00hn1

Where i can find that game to play, i want multiplayer ?