Forums

Reveal Chess revisited

Sort:
ebillgo

As I have mentioned in a previous post "Reveal Chess - Chinese chess variant", the starting position is really very random, very much more so than a Chess960 game. In fact there are 11,596,762,604 starting positions - so many that every human being on earth can own 1656 of them !! If it is for pure recreation, this produces very unsymmetrical games and luck plays a greater part in the outcome.

HGMuller

Where can I find any description of this on the internet? Googling only brings me to your two positings here.

I do get hits on 'Chinese Dark Chess', however. But this is not the game you describe, although it has similar aspects (it is played on a 4x8 board).

ebillgo

HGMuller:

There isn't any material in English about this game on the internet . If you really want to know more, I can borrow a book from the public library and show you some photos about how this game works. The book is in Chinese but I 'll try to help as far as I can .

RonaldJosephCote

For instructional purposes, I'll break the rules. Staff may delete this, because your not sapost to mention other chess sites on THIS site, but try chess variants.com

RonaldJosephCote

I like your idea; Can YOU extend it to a larger board so you can play 4-way reveal chess?

HGMuller

It would already be helpful to have material about this on the internet in Chinese. Google translate for Chinese is pretty poor, but now I am used to its peculiarities, I can usually make some sense of it. (E.g. I now know that "to eat the children" means "capture pieces". Smile ) That would be more helpful than scans of a book, where the kanji become images, which cannot be subjected to automated translation.

Remellion

In which case feel free to google "盖棋" which is the name of this variant (lit. "covered chess".)

I also feel compelled to say "eat children" (子) is Google translate being dumb and nothing to do with cannibalism. 吃 (chi) means to eat, or in context to capture, and 子 (zi) refers to 棋子 (qi zi), chess pieces, although the word 子 in isolation has numerous meanings, one of which is "child".

ebillgo

For all of you who are interested in Reveal Chess, I have prepared some explanatory notes and posted them in the "Other" section of Downloads.