Forums

possible or impossible?

Sort:
andrewjmen

You're right Adriandmen the answer was to go via b7 with a knight in between

bishshoy_das
pfren wrote:
its_viky wrote:

OKay, this is an anti-puzzle. White to AVOID checkmating black !!!

Three possible solutions:

1. Offer a draw.

2. If Black is stupid enough to decline the offer, let your time run out. The arbiter has to declare the game a draw, since ALL moves are forced and lead to mate for white (which means, Black has no winning chances).

3. Resign (fastest, but costliest).

thank for the correct answer. who would have guessed that?

Fralnp

Less outrageous and more easiest than my first take:

Possible or impossible:

julian8x8

its not possible

bishshoy_das

YES possible

Heres the solution:

Fralnp

Yes. Thanks for the detailed answer. Was the e-pawn being on e6, the White Rook would have never be able to go thru, but on e5 as demonstrated it's acheviable.

Screener

2 white bishops on 2 black squares.

bishshoy_das

also either d-pawn or f-pawn would have to remain held back until the bishop makes through

andrewjmen

alright how about this one

it may look a bit like Fralnp's puzzle but give it a try

andrewjmen

really nobody?

andrewjmen

if nobody answers i will give the answer after 20 min so give it try

Fralnp

To lazy to recreate a entire game instead I will only publish the main idea:

jerry2468

You forget that the Queen and bishop has to get out. You need to start out playing e3 and d3. :)

andrewjmen

you're right Fralnp! it may look like your puzzle but i just wanted to show that if the pawn on e5 was on e6 the rook could be there by promotion

Fralnp
jerry2468 wrote:

You forget that the Queen and bishop has to get out. You need to start out playing e3 and d3. :)

A blasted Black Knight eated them so no Queen or Bishop pleaseTongue out

andrewjmen

here is the whole game

Fralnp
andrewjmen wrote:

you're right Fralnp! it may look like your puzzle but i just wanted to show that if the pawn on e5 was on e6 the rook could be there by promotion

Yes sadly, pigs will fly and gold fall off trees 'til I get a darn puzzle right.

Thanks to notice the tiny flaw in my presentation. You seems yourself quite the expert in those retro puzzles. Great work!

shoopi

Alright I'll repost some good puzzles from the older thread that I linked before. Will post more if you like, but there are many hard ones there Smile

Possible or Impossible?

learningthemoves

Not even with a knight in between because there's no way to reach that position with a knight there. And if a rook took a knight, then it wouldn't be white to move unless the king was still in check.

Fralnp

I've done puzzle 2

Someone else can do the restTongue Out