Forums

Best move in this boss position

Sort:
MoonlessNight

Here is a position from one of my games. its one of those "I know there's something good, but I just don't see it" moments. White is obviously better, but what to do about his advantage? what would you play in this position?

MoonlessNight
[COMMENT DELETED]
eddysallin
nate23 wrote:

Here is a position from one of my games. its one of those "I know there's something good, but I just don't see it" moments. White is obviously better, but what to do about his advantage? what would you play in this position?

nb7,white has much the better!

JamieKowalski

If I were White, I'd politely wait for Black to move, since the diagram indicates it is his turn.

MoonlessNight

Changed it. White to play.

johnyoudell
[COMMENT DELETED]
JamieKowalski
paulgottlieb wrote:

my first thought for White is just to exchange pawns with 1.hxg6 hxg6 and then push g4. A lot of lines are going to open up on the kingside, and I would be surprised if Black can survive.

I was actually thinking just go ahead with g4 right away. 

johnyoudell

How about Q toh3, take the pawn, give check then attack the g pawn.

MoonlessNight

I turns our that hxg6 and Qg3 are equal, they result in the same line. here is how the game finished:

MoonlessNight
pfren wrote:

Even 1.h6 and then playing at the queenside should be an easy win. That bishop on h8 is less than a fat pawn.

You say that it's Black to move here- no?

No, it is white to move. I decided that an open h file for my rooks was better then turning a bishop into a tall pawn. Besides, I had been going over Ponomariov, Ruslan (UKR) vs. Tjomsland, Stig (NOR)