Forums

Please help me analyze a wild game

Sort:
johnmusacha

I am new here and a beginner at chess.  Is anyone interested in this game of mine?  Any tips would be appreciated, as well as criticism.  Thanks.

willysweetkane

John, 

I took a bit of time to analyze your game and came up with the following reccomendations: 

-tactics, tactics tactics! You made a lot of calculative errors, such as when you blundered your queen on f4. In practical play, I would reccomend always trying to check twice before you make a capture to survey its ramifications. 

-You might want to become familiar with some of the plans (not necessarily move orders) in the opening(s) you play. For instance, in the French defense, you want to put a lot of pressure on d4 and then make a break with f6 to attack the e5 pawn when appropriate (from my experience playing the French) 

-In the endgame, you want to limit your opponent's chances, so you want to make sure a race like the one you had in the game in which white had a win with 49. Rxf2!! 

-Hanging pieces: you seem to be good at winning material, but make sure your own pieces are not hanging first. 

I enjoyed looking at your game and hope my analysis was helpful. 

[Event "Live Chess"]

[Site "Chess.com"]

[Date "2012.05.06"]

[White "Eagle5"]

[Black "johnmusacha"]

[Result "0-1"]

[WhiteElo "1390"]

[BlackElo "1370"]

[TimeControl "30|3"]

[Termination "johnmusacha won by resignation"]

[FEN "rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1"]

1.e4 e6 2.e5 { A rather unusual way to try and play the advance variation. Normally, white will play d4 and wait until black commits to shutting in the light squared bishop with d5. With that said, I like the look of playing b6 instead of b5 and then putting the bishop on b7 because it allows black to take advantage of white's newly weakened light squares. Nevertheless, d5 is fine as well.  } 2...d5 3.d4 c5 { The most classical way to break white's pawn on e5, striking at e4.  } 4.Bb5+?! { In my opinion, this is not a very good move for the following reasons. 1) It does not directly deal with black's attack on d4 in the long run

2) it gives black the opportunity to exchange the one positional weakness so far: the light squared bishop with 4... Bd7 or free it with 4... Nc6 and if 5. Bxc6+ 5... bxc6 and the black bishop will end up on a6, preventing white from castling.  } 4...Bd7 5.Qd3 Qa5+ { maybe better was cxd4. While white is not forced to recapture the pawn immediately, say after 6. Nf3, black could follow up with Qb6 and pressure white's position, while when white recaptures with 7. Bxd7+, black recaptures with 7... Nxd7 and white's e pawn is under attack. The black knight will go to e7 and then g6 or c6, and black should be fine.  } 6.Nc3 cxd4 7.Bxd7+ Nxd7 8.Qxd4 Bb4 { Again, the same idea of Ne7-c6 seems really strong as the e pawn will be pressured twice and the queen will be kicked as well. If white plays Nf3 and then after Nc6 Qe3 or f4, then bb4 would perhaps be stronger, with Bc6 as a different option.  } 9.Bd2 Ne7 { Herein lies the disadvantage of Bb4. The a3-b4 push is coming, so black has to use a tempo on the queen. Luckily, black has a good square in c7, but Nb5 could be problematic in the future.  } 10.a3 Bc5 11.Qa4 Qc7 12.Bf4 O-O { Now e5 is under attack, but Nb5 is still a problem.  } 13.O-O-O { note that taking on f2 with the bishop could become awkward, but black has a solution: } ( 13.Nf3 a6 14.O-O Nc6 15.Rfe1 b5 16.Qb3 Nd4 17.Nxd4 Bxd4 { The e5 pawn looks isolated and doomed. Black has no weaknesses and is better. White will have no space advantage, black will have no weaknesses and the asset of the open c file and a good infiltration square of c4 could be vital. } ) 13...Nxe5 ( 13...Bxf2 14.Nb5 Qb6 15.Nd6 Be3+ 16.Kb1 ( 16.Bxe3 Qxe3+ 17.Kb1 Nxe5 { White is in serious trouble. The knight on d6, so good when the e5 pawn is well supported, is now lost in black's territory and will soon fall.  } ) 16...Bxf4 17.Qxf4 Ng6 { The e5 pawn is gone and the knight on d6 should follow.  } ) 14.Nf3 Nd3+ { This tactic would work if the queen was not on the 4th rank. Better was instead Ng6, defending your pinned piece and attacking the pinned: the f4 bishop.  } ( 14...N7g6 15.Bg3 a6 { ! Now Nb5 is no longer a problem if black defends the knight on e5 with Bd6.  } 16.Rhe1 Bd6 { Black is just a pawn up and should be strategically winning; white is on the pure defensive, b5 is coming along with a slaughter on the queenside.  } ) 15.Rxd3 Qxf4+?? 16.Qxf4 { I lost the Queen due to an oversight. } 16...Bxf2 17.Ne5 { Another serious error. Nf5 is an ideal move to play, but your bishop on f2 is hanging!  } 17...Nf5 18.Ng4 { Luckily for you, your opponent missed the opportunity to seal your fate with Qxf2 } 18...Rac8 { Your bishop is still hanging... were both of you running out of time here?  } 19.Rf1 { Again, your most generous opponent neglects to capture on f2 } 19...Bb6 20.Rff3 f6 { e5 is the threat.  } 21.Nb5 Rc4 { A strong move that picks up material, but white has no need to give up the queen here.  } 22.Qxc4? { Here white chooses to trade a Queen for a Rook. } 22...dxc4 23.Rc3 a6 { Now the wayward knight on b5 is trapped.  } 24.Ne3 { White should instead try Rxf5+ in order to then play Nd6, rounding up a pawn on either c4 or f5 (b7 is awfully risky)  } 24...Bxe3+ { Picking up a piece with tempo } 25.Kb1 axb5 26.g4 { sacrificing the rook on f5 is white's best survival hope, but white is still lost at this point.  } ( 26.Rxf5 exf5 27.Rxe3 Kf7 { preventing the rook from penetrating the 7th rank and winning the game. Black's extra pawns will be decisive, even the doubled ones.  } ) 26...Bd4 27.gxf5 Bxc3 { Winning the exchange! } 28.bxc3 e5 { Strong move. Why not make a passed pawn?  } 29.Re3 Rd8 { Good technique. Taking the open file for your rook.  } 30.Re4 { Rooks are not meant to blockade. White will not last long.  } 30...Kf8 31.Kb2 Ke7 32.a4 bxa4 33.Rxc4 b5 34.Rc7+ Rd7 35.Rc8 Rd8 36.Rc7+ Rd7 37.Rc8 g6 38.Rb8 gxf5 39.Rxb5 f4 40.Ra5 f3 41.Rxa4 f2 42.Ra1 Rd2 ( 42...Rb7+ { Probably a better move to give check here! --I agree, the immediate check wins. If the king runs to c1, you queen (as your analysis shows), but if Qa3 Ra7+ will exchange rooks on a1 following by queening on f1.  } 43.Kc1 ( 43.Ka3 Ra7+ 44.Kb2 Rxa1 45.Kxa1 f1=Q+ ) 43...Rb1+ 44.Rxb1 f1=Q+ ) 43.Rf1 Ke6 { e4 is much, much stronger because e3 will arrive protecting everything.  } ( 43...e4 44.Kc1 e3 ) 44.Kc1 Re2 45.Kb2 { ?? Kd1 will force black to give up the pawn, even though white is still lost. This is why playing e4-e3 is vital.  } 45...Kd5 46.Kb3 Ke4 47.c4 Kf3 48.c5 Kg2 { Oh no! You let the c6 pawn run and should lose because of the following:  } 49.c6 ( 49.Rxf2+ { !! The white pawn will now queen and black might not be able to win at all.  } 49...Kxf2 50.c6 Rd2 51.c7 Kg2 52.c8=Q Kxh2 53.Qf5 { White will win, with accurate technique.  } ) 49...Kxf1 50.c7 Kg1 51.c8=Q f1=Q 52.Qg4+ Qg2 { The difference from my most recent analysis is that white allowed you to queen. If white sacrificed the rook for your f2 pawn, you would have lost.  } 

0-1

bguigz
ChristianSoldier007 wrote:

"I'm sure that I know your level of understanding of chess"

That is what we call assumption

Fairly realistic assumption in my opinion.

You've played about 1500 games on this site.

Your online rating is a bit under 1300 (best ever 1368) with 276 games. Your live ratings are lower than 1200 (entry rating on this site)

How is your rating not too accurate with such a number of played games?

If your chess knowledge is enough to teach beginners, how can you explain that it doesn't translate into a post-beginner rating?

But hey, you consider yourself as having mastered the closed Ruy Lopez, so I guess you're probably good enough to put an engine analysis in words...

johnmusacha

Sure, Christian Soldier, i'm interested in you analyzing this game on YouTube.  Let me know how it turns out.  Here is my hometown of Miami I know of 700 and 800 rated USCF players that make quite a lucrative living teaching chess and organizing tournaments so i wouldn't worry too much about the naysayers. 

Perhaps this is part of the contemporary distrust of experts that is embodied by Wikipedia and other "crowd-sourced" projects!

johnmusacha

Yes thank you!  I would like it super in depth also.  Please do a good job as I am entering a competition next saturday in Sunny Isles Beach with a total prize of $10,000 cash!  So if you could, please make the video as detailed as possible.  I'm counting on you!

AndyClifton

my book knowledge far exceeds my actual play skill

Hm, this strange assertion again...

AndyClifton

As for the game...well, that was pretty tragic for White, to be a full queen up and then manage to hang it all back.  Btw there should also be a ?? on Black's 14th, since that's where the real blunder occurred.

NachtWulf

By the way, I take no credit for the following diagram/analysis/annotations. I'm just pasting willysweetkane's pgn onto a chessboard for ease of viewing:

Ben_Dubuque

If I did do videos, which I was considering for a short time, I would only go so far as to point out the main ideas in the opening, and then point our missed tactics or more effeciant moves. but you need to stop heckling, teaching is an efficient way of learning.

AndyClifton

So is heckling:

AndyClifton

Hey, this is the forums.  We never stop arguing!

Helzeth

A 1200 rated player who has mastered the ruy lopez...

Russians do not lie. Sadly, you're no russian.

Helzeth
joeydvivre wrote:

I thought I just posted about this but must have put the post in another thread...

Yes, I did.  I started watching #3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5E-Wm4aOE.  It was painful.  

1 e4 c4

2 Nc3.

You think this is unusual, "not a normal Sicilian", etc. but it appears 113,000 in my database.

2...Nc6

3 Nf3 d6

4 h3

You think this is not going to eb a normal game and that white wants to avoid the pin.  In which variation of the Sicilian is Bg4 an important pin?  None that I can think of...  This is a worthless move but you don't say so.

4 ...g6

You think this is good but you never use the word "Dragon" which is just weird.  Something to think about is that sometimes white does play h3 in the Dragon so perhaps trying to trasnpose into a Dragon to prove that h3 was worthless is not a great idea.  You don't know that though.

5 Bc4 Bg7

6 Ne5

You think this is a good move.  Arg.  It's a terrible move.  It:

a) Violates the novice principle of never moving a piece twice in an opening.  You should live by that principle until you have gained many hundreds of rating points.

b) Doesn't do anything

c) Gives black a tempo to play e6 - a move he wants to play anyway.  

d) Delays O-O and d3/d4

After this move (which you think is good) black is ahead on the sixth move of the game.  You also half-heartedly suggest that c3 is coming which just makes me itch.  I'd definitely delay e6 if I knew that c3 was coming because that would mean that knight is going to f4 which is a terrible sqaure for the knight.

6 ... Nf6

A good move you think.  Arg.  White makes this terrible and weird move and then black justifes it by giving that wayward knight a target.

At this point I stopped watching.  This video is just silly and is a negative achievement in the world of chess teaching... 

Bwahahahahahahha
GLORIOUS.

I will make a video response to this video RIGHT NOW debunking all the nonsense here.

edit; My russian patience stopped when you called the stonewall formation e5 d6 c5

nf6 was absolutely horrible

nd5 was horrible

h3 was horrible

YOU ARE HORRIBLE
YOU WILL NEVER BE A TRUE RUSSIAN

Ben_Dubuque

yes they do look at Stalin

Helzeth
jetfighter13 wrote:

yes they do look at Stalin

Stalin was american.

I tried to watch the entire video this time but I couldnt. It's too difficult.

Ben_Dubuque

Stalin was a soviet ******* and so was  Lenin, but any way lets not get into an arguement

AndyClifton

Continued argument is pointless

Like that's ever stopped anybody around here before...

AndyClifton
Helzeth wrote:
Stalin was american.

Ah yes, good point.  It was Hitler that was Russian.

AndyClifton
paulgottlieb wrote:
[COMMENT DELETED]

Makes ya wonder, don't it? Smile

AndyClifton

So you are saving frequently and everything, like a good little boy? Smile