Forums

Was he really 2047?

Sort:
PigNewton
 I crushed this dude really easily. He was rated very high, do you believe it? I don't think so....
BlueJaguar2000

There are certain things that happen on chess.com that are very unusual, and in this scenario, these are one of the things that happen. That is called an upset, btw, when you beat someone of higher rating. Any given sunday. Congrats,my friend.

Bobby_Joey

no

incantevoleutopia

Aaaaand another showoff thread with an accidentaly misleading title ... accidentaly.

PigNewton
incantevoleutopia wrote:

Aaaaand another showoff thread with an accidentaly misleading title ... accidentaly.

Hey dude. Whats misleading here?

PigNewton
Bobby_Joey wrote:

no

Agreed.

PigNewton
BlueJaguar2000 wrote:

There are certain things that happen on chess.com that are very unusual, and in this scenario, these are one of the things that happen. That is called an upset, btw, when you beat someone of higher rating. Any given sunday. Congrats,my friend.

Thanks dude.

JXDK

Well maybe the account owner's younger sibling or even kid was using the account. That's a possibility. Otherwise just enjoy your (presumably) first win against a 2000+ player!

takeoffeh

The number of blunders by white suggests that someone else was using his account, or maybe he was drunk out of his mind.

dpnorman

Everyone has bad games. I'd say look at some of his other games before deciding what his skill level is

PigNewton
takeoffeh wrote:

The number of blunders by white suggests that someone else was using his account, or maybe he was drunk out of his mind.

I'm with you on that man

PigNewton
dpnorman wrote:

Everyone has bad games. I'd say look at some of his other games before deciding what his skill level is

I think this is beyond a bad game. His rating was determined by InstantCHess.com which is a place I occassionally play on. He was not the caliber i thought though. I've played 2000+ and won once. But they usually crush me before I even know what's going on. It's rough

wrathss

The feeling I have with this game is both side played some normal moves (except 10..Nh5?! which I have to ask what's the knight doing there) until all of a sudden we had Bxh3 out of nowhere. I suspected that it doesn't work and it didn't take much effort to see that actually it is winning for white if white just plays the normal gxh3!. Black has nothing to follow (Qg5+ is just a check and after Kh1 white is very safe and up a piece).

So I guess a 1500 player would have beaten you but the 2000 player got too cute and blundered heavily with 16. Bxh5? and 17. g3?? (Bg3! and white has a piece for 2 pawns). Thing is it really wasn't like "only moves" and maybe the 2000 player thought what he played was good enough and missed something.

Also move 24..h4?? is a blunder, and after gxh4 a queen trade is forced and white is actually slightly better

I think you got rather lucky if you ask me.

Robert_New_Alekhine

White was a Pig....and black was a Newton.

zborg

25) gxh4 looks like a win for white.  Seems like an "easy to find" move, too.

The queens get exchanged, white is a pawn up, and white looks better placed for the coming endgame.

t-ram87

27) Qe1?? is a big blunder 27) Qd1! keeps game going

t-ram87
t-ram87 wrote:

27) Qe1?? is a big blunder 27) Qd1! keeps game going

Well he is losing a piece for a pawn but there is still play going

Bonny-Rotten

White was not great and had some good chances. Difference was that you took your chance, Qg5 was a good shot, probably he was blinded by the light.

913Glorax12
Robert0905 wrote:

White was a Pig....and black was a Newton.

Aaaand the award of terrible humor, goes to...!