Forums

Are there any specific requirements for becoming a NM?

Sort:
Abhishek2

*revive*

Conflagration_Planet

You have to know how the knight moves.

chessmaster102

be a good player

Elubas

From some sources it seems like all you have to do in America is to literally get to 2200 USCF one time, and even if you drop below it you still retain the title.

Andre_Harding
Elubas wrote:

From some sources it seems like all you have to do in America is to literally get to 2200 USCF one time, and even if you drop below it you still retain the title.

This is absolutely true. The sole requirement for becoming NM in the USA is to reach 2200 USCF one time (it need not even be published).

Elubas

Yes, it would vary.

TheOldReb
Tercarte wrote:

Well, a couple NMs in the thread I cited in post #111 wholly disagreed.  Not only did they say some smaller countries "rig" NM titles, but they have a way of "backdooring" the FIDE "FM" title as well in third-world countries.

It was NM Ozzie Cobblepot and NM Aww-Rats and NM Reb jumped in as well.  Apparently NM Reb is a NM not only in the USA but also an NM in Portugal.  (Not that I'm saying a Portugese NM is rigged but just read the thread and you'll see what they said).

The Portuguese NM title is actually more difficult to get than the US NM title. In Portugal you must break 2200 FIDE rating , which is more difficult than 2200 USCF . I dont know what the requirements are for other countries that have the NM title however . 

Elubas
Tercarte wrote:

Yes, it would vary.  So that means the quality of a "NM" title would aslo vary depending from what country it is issued?

To-wit:  Your average NM from the United States or Canada (Like our own Andy Clifton) would be a much better chess player than your average NM from Tanzania or South Sudan?

Yes, agreed.

Mingamizer

a NM norm is for 2200(FIDE)and up after you have done that it stays a NM until you get your rating to the next norm