Forums

Blitz - harmful or not?

Sort:
SmyslovFan

I can just about guarantee that Nakamura, Carlsen, Caruana, Vachier-Lagrave, et al, are talking about 3 0 chess on ICC when they are talking about blitz chess there. Their game histories all show a strong preference for 1 0 and 3 0 chess. They tend to avoid games with increments online, as do most GMs. And again, most GMs play blitz online.

There is a very strong correlation between blitz prowess and standard chess skill. If all these top GMs play blitz, don't you think they should be told how much they are hurting their game?

waffllemaster
SmyslovFan wrote:

I can just about guarantee that Nakamura, Carlsen, Caruana, Vachier-Lagrave, et al, are talking about 3 0 chess on ICC when they are talking about blitz chess there. Their game histories all show a strong preference for 1 0 and 3 0 chess. They tend to avoid games with increments online, as do most GMs. And again, most GMs play blitz online.

There is a very strong correlation between blitz prowess and standard chess skill. If all these top GMs play blitz, don't you think they should be told how much they are hurting their game?

Then maybe it's more accurate to say it hurts the developing player?

But anyway, even for these top GMs, I think we'd have to know how much time they spend working on chess outside of blitz.  Blitz now and then can't be harmful (maybe even helpful!) but if you guys are anything like me, blitz sessions can last hours.

SmyslovFan

I suppose it's impossible that the old prejudice against blitz chess is just that, a prejudice. 

Of course too much blitz is counterproductive, but an hour a day playing blitz seems to be excellent for the top players. 

waffllemaster

What was the story that came out about Bovinnik's secret blitz session with some guy.  The guy was sworn to secrecy and didn't tell the story until recently (in his 70s now).

I know after a long tournament there's nothing I like better than to unwind with a few blitz games.  Not all night or anything, but at least a few.  Maybe it helps the mind sort and be able to recall patterns or something.  Botvinnik and me are only 2, but I wonder if we all don't feel the urge to play speed chess now and then.  There may be a good reason for this too.

But I guess we all agree that it's bad if it's where you spend the majority of your time (thinking 3/0 and yes even 5/0 or 10/0 games here).

ponz111

"There is a very strong correlation between blitz prowess and standard chess skill."  Sure, that may be true but it does not say that playing blitz helps to increase standard chess skill.

Razorz18

Got upcoming online blitz open on playchess. Details here:

http://goo.gl/v8a7lq 

Check the web