Forums

m

Sort:
The_Analog_Clock

[COMMENT DELETED]

KaiJ11

No it is pure Luck.

waffllemaster

I've never heard of or seen this.  Are you sure you're not exaggerating your story?   You saw this happen at least 3 times?

In any case I think it's just the passing player was bored (and a bit childish, now someone will have to reset the pieces again).  As for the player's reaction, chess players at a tournament can be a cantankerous bunch.  I would say the person setting it up was bored and the person who reacted was imagining some insult that didn't exist.

waffllemaster
KaiJ11 wrote:

No it is pure Luck.

You don't know what it means, but it's pure luck?  So which is it?

(lol, read his question first).

Fear_ItseIf

haha that is weird, ive never seen nor heard of that.

Scottrf

It's a masonic method of communication, but I can't share the meaning.

repossession

And then three people threw milk duds into their mouths simultaneously.

eddysallin

THeres many weird people at chess tourns......

ElKitch

Its like a note that kids used to write: "He who reads this is crazy". But then in chesslingo.

SmyslovFan

Back in the days when correspondence chess and the Cold War were realities, at least on paper...

I had several friends who were contacted by authorities for sending coded messages to Eastern Bloc nations. 

We had a good laugh at the thought of chess moves being encoded messages, but it would be quite easy to use a correspondence game as a way to send messages. 

Pat_Zerr

It would be very simple to set up an 8 X 8 grid with prearranged messages in each square, then arrange them in a way to where you can communicate as a game is played.  For example, e4 could mean "Checking in with you."  E5 could mean "All OK, disregard further" while playing the Sicilian with c5 could mean, "I have important information for you."  Of course you could also further encode the communications depending on which piece you move.  Moving a pawn to d4 could have a different meaning than moving a bishop to d4, for example.

Depending on the necessary communications, it may appear as if a couple of patzers are playing, but "they" don't have to know if you're any good at chess.

CrimsonKnight7

Some people just like to setup positions for artistic value. Perhaps the person that was setting up the fool's mate position was actually calling the person sitting there a fool. Perhaps he was waiting for a response of the person sitting there to quickly set up the scholars mate thereby saying they weren't a fool ? I'm guessing though.

Abhishek2

I just make random moves cuz im bored. Like, e3, d3, all the pawns move forward, Kf2, Qc2, Nd2, Ne2, Rh2, Ra2, etc.