Forums

Fischer vs. Kasparov

Sort:
chesspooljuly13

If a drunk driver killed one of your relatives and some idiot started cheering and applauding what happened, that idiot's not responsible for that death. But he's still a world-class a**hole - as Fischer was late in his life.

netzach

I'm talking of events concerning chess & B. Fischer that took place in the 1970's for goodness sake ! Not transposing that to any political furore in the future over anything else. I speak of historical events then that resulted in his citizenship being withdrawn at that time. Is that is any way to treat one of your own countrymen ?

When America disowned him back then the events you are mouthing off about hadn't even happened. That is why I said '' irrelevant '' ?

chesspooljuly13

But granting him posthumous citizenship is something that (obviously) would have to take place today, and, as I've said, that's something Fischer nor most Americans would want. So why are you continuing to beat that drum?! The two parties most affected don't want it, so why not just drop it?

netzach

Didn't realise you had the authority to speak for the entire US populace that sounds like megalomania ?

Sure he was mentally-ill, extremist & racist but he was never anti-american until after his country treated him badly. You would likely feel the same if it had happened to you.

[edit] 90's or whatever is still over 20 years ago & before other events.

chesspooljuly13

Besides, Fischer's citizenship wasn't revoked in the 1970s; that happened in the 1990s after he violated sanctions by playing his rematch with Spassky!

chesspooljuly13

Take a poll of the U.S. populace and see for yourself. I certainly know the U.S. populace better than you. Irregardless, I said "most" - as in a majority - so I'm clearly not referring to the entire U.S. populace

chesspooljuly13

You accuse me of megalomania right after you falsely accuse me of being "personally abusive." You're a riot, netzach! LOL!

chesspooljuly13

Hate to burst your bubble, but Fischer's U.S. passport wasn't revoked until 2003 and it was Fischer who renounced his U.S. citizenship - not the other way around, according to Wikipedia.

Fischer got in trouble with the U.S. by playing the Spassky rematch in Yugoslavia in violation of U.N. (not U.S.) sanctions, though the sanctions were obviously supported by the U.S. Fischer could have made millions by playing somewhere else but chose not to. The reason he never returned to the U.S. is he faced a fine/jail time by playing the match in Yugoslavia.

Fischer's citizenship, according to Wikipedia, was never revoked by the U.S. As recently as the early 2000s, Fischer said HE wanted to revoke his citizenship.

I realize all this doesn't mesh with your America-bashing agenda, netzach. Better luck next time lol

uziboy

fischer

mikey2677

Fischer did lose his citizenship, and that was his choice. Also, don't believe everything you read on wikipedia, anyone can post something as fact on it. Also I truly believe that Kasparov would win the match.

mikey2677

When Fischer became a citizen of the country he moved to, I forget what the name of that country was, he renounced his US citizenship, and was no longer a US citizen. We didn't want him here anyway after the way he spoke about americans, and jewish people as a whole, which I find ironic being that he was Jewish. He was severely mentally ill, and the world is better off without him. Rest in agony bobby fischer

netzach

if he was American & America claim him as their son he should remain American for life whatever the politics involved are. 

I wasn't '' bashing-america lol '' as you would put it. I am highlighting what many see as poor treatment of him by his country...

Almost all of what you cite in justification happened after he was ill & alienated from America so partly caused by that.

mikey2677

As an american, when you declare allegiance to another country, unless you are a dual citizen of 2 countries, you lose your us citizenship. He also ran away from charges that he faced in the states. I also believe that he was a spy, and was actually a double agent giving away american intelligence to foreign powers. but that is just opinion. He was treated poorly after his even worse treatment of a nation that prized him, and would have done anything for him. Good riddance

netzach
mikey2677 wrote:

As an american, when you declare allegiance to another country, unless you are a dual citizen of 2 countries, you lose your us citizenship. He also ran away from charges that he faced in the states. I also believe that he was a spy, and was actually a double agent giving away american intelligence to foreign powers. but that is just opinion. He was treated poorly after his even worse treatment of a nation that prized him, and would have done anything for him. Good riddance

Well he was America's responsibility. Why wash your hands of him ?

You didn't do the same with OJ or Ben Johnson ??

& Fischer WAS ill...

mikey2677

Oj is still a us citizen until this day. I did not write the constitution and the rules of us citizenship. he was no longer a citizen of this country, and if he came back he would have been put in prison. I am not here to argue about this or that, as a chess player he was great, as a human, i wouldn't have wasted my spit on his face. The world as a whole is better off without him, although chess may not be.

chesspooljuly13

Yes, Fischer lost his citizenship by his choice after accepting Icelandic citizenship.

And the reasons Fischer's passport was revoked (the Spassky rematch in Yugoslavia in violation of U.N. sanctions) has been well-documented elsewhere.

I actually erroneously thought that Fischer's citizenship had been revoked by the U.S., but that was Fischer's choice, which made sense given the fine and jail time he faced if he returned to the U.S.

The main point is Fischer didn't have to play that match in Yugoslavia. He could have made a ton of money playing it anywhere because so many people wanted to see him play again after his 20-year absence from chess.

It's also documented that Fischer's reaction to the U.S. Treasury Department's letter urging him not to play the match was to spit on it and tear it up, an unnecessarily provocative act.

The U.S. didn't prevent Fischer from playing chess from 1972 to 1992. That was Fischet's choice. Just as it was his choice to finally play again in a country with U.N. sanctions against it.

To read netzach's posts, you'd think Fischer was a helpless victim of the U.S. government. But netzach's agenda isn't really Fischer. Anyone who reads his posts with an objective eye can see he's simply using Fischer to bash a country he doesn't like

netzach
mikey2677 wrote:

Oj is still a us citizen until this day. I did not write the constitution and the rules of us citizenship. he was no longer a citizen of this country, and if he came back he would have been put in prison. I am not here to argue about this or that, as a chess player he was great, as a human, i wouldn't have wasted my spit on his face. The world as a whole is better off without him, although chess may not be.

He was America's only World Chess Champion & should be remembered for that. Not all the extraneous stuff.

chesspooljuly13

How exactly did America treat Bobby Fischer poorly, netzach?

chesspooljuly13

What did America do to Fischer that was so terrible, netzach?

mikey2677

Thank you chesspool, Fischer destroyed his own life. He had every oppurtunity for greatness and he threw it all away. He was born a jew, and an american, and in the end stated how much he hated them both. Well he died alone, and in a foreign place, without any of the glory his life could have had. Its a sad story, but an important one. Don't piss away the gifts you are blessed with.

This forum topic has been locked