Forums

How do you determine your OTB rating?

Sort:
JJN2

How do you figure out your OTB rating?

goldendog

If you mean take your chess.com rating and discover an OTB equivalence, you don't.

Different rating pools, different conditions, and so forth.

There have been some casual relationships made between chess.com ratings and official OTB ratings, but they are just that, casual.

JJN2

Yes, but I want to know my OTB rating. (And I do play chess in person.)

goldendog

If you are playing in offical competitions, it will be calculated for you.

Do you want a place to fiddle with a USCF rating calculator, if you have been playing in USCF tournaments?

JJN2

I have never played in a tourney.

goldendog

Then there seems to be no basis to calculate an OTB rating.

JJN2

So how do I know?

burnsielaxplayer
JJN2 wrote:

So how do I know?

Play in OTB tournaments

goldendog

Maybe you can find a rated player, play him a few games, and he'll give you his opinion.

There's no substitute for sanctioned play though when it comes to finding out your rating.

JJN2

So do I just make up a number?

goldendog

If you're talking about your profile, just leave it blank until you actually have a real rating.

JJN2

i play people in real life, but not tournaments.

ivandh

Basically you're asking what your badge number is without being a police officer. Until you have played in rated tournaments you do not get a rating.

RichColorado

Ok.  What is OTB?

Gert-Jan

OTB is over the board. In other words, playing with real chess pieces against an opponent that doesn't hold a mouse but moves the pieces with his hands. It's a very old-fashioned way of playing chess. Wink

ChessboardAbs
ivandh wrote:

Basically you're asking what your badge number is without being a police officer. Until you have played in rated tournaments you do not get a rating.

Exactly. You can't calculate your rating without having played in official tournaments. You're asking what your rating is, but our point is you don't HAVE one.

vladamirduce
Gert-Jan wrote:

OTB is over the board. In other words, playing with real chess pieces against an opponent that doesn't hold a mouse but moves the pieces with his hands. It's a very old-fashioned way of playing chess.

LOL  What if I use a mouse glove?

Vlad_Akselrod

By playing in a FIDE-rated tournament. The only reasonable way of doing it.

TheOldReb
IMCheap wrote:

By playing in a FIDE-rated tournament. The only reasonable way of doing it.

He is in the southeast USA which means fide rated events are extremely rare. He will have to play in uscf  rated events to get an otb rating. I think he will have to have a minimum number of 20 rated games to establish an otb rating, that min number may have changed since I left the US in 1997.

vladamirduce

Yes it's 20 games.