Forums

How long do you think before moving?

Sort:
Mandy711

It takes me usually 1-3 minutes to make a move. I know many would disagree as I'm not using time wisely. I rely more on intuition than calculation. 

AndyClifton
TetsuoShima wrote:
SmyslovFan wrote:

In complex positions, I spend ~20 minutes on my FIRST viewing of a position. I try never to move on the first day. I record the variations I analysed, make light comments on what I like (usually just a single note, such as !, !?, ?? Look at this) and then go back the next day and delve deeper. Some positions require hours of such work.

i guess thats why your rating is so high

lol...at blitz? Laughing

nameno1had

Mandy711 wrote:

It takes me usually 1-3 minutes to make a move. I know many would disagree as I'm not using time wisely. I rely more on intuition than calculation. 

I am not a math whizz, but the last time I checked 40 moves in 120 minutes is 3 minutes a move...Some moves obviously don't require 3 minutes to figure out....if the best in the world are required to move at that pace, it is only fitting for everyone who hopes to play at their level, to follow suit...

AndyClifton

Damn hurricanes (always making a racket)...

Ironknight777
naturalproduct wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:

Well, I must have a super brain because I win much more than I lose. 

Either that or your opponents have an average rating of 1321.

+1

+2

naturalproduct
nameno1had wrote:

Mandy711 wrote:

I am not a math whizz, but the last time I checked 40 moves in 120 minutes is 3 minutes a move...Some moves obviously don't require 3 minutes to figure out....if the best in the world are required to move at that pace, it is only fitting for everyone who hopes to play at their level, to follow suit...

But Chris,how do you actually understand the game of chess then? Obviously, I am referring to those of us new or still getting comfortable with the game. I understand what you are saying, but I would rather take the time to learn the game on a deeper level by taking my time than playing as if I were in a tournament and relying on intuition (BTW, isin't intuition developed through many hours of positional analysis and practice). So, I think the time for that will come with enough experience. If I rushed through my CC games, I would be learning at a much slower rate. But...to each their own.

ChessinBlackandWhite

on CC games, 15 sec, maybe less. at most a min. Once I cut my games down I will focus more, down to less than 60 now from 138. In any case, not nearly enough time, as OTB games I use almost all my time and have better results haha

naturalproduct
MichaelPorcelli wrote:

on CC games, 15 sec, maybe less. at most a min. Once I cut my games down I will focus more, down to less than 60 now from 138. In any case, not nearly enough time, as OTB games I use almost all my time and have better results haha

Thats nuts...but judging from how you play bullet I believe you...lol

ChessinBlackandWhite

I will be resigning a bunch to cut down soon, have to focus on OTB

mcbthefirst

How long do I think before moving...to where?  Across the street against the light with a Mack truck coming?  Or to Arkansas?Cool

kissinger

In a complex situation, I go into the bathroom and do my business.  I find I do my best chess thinking on the "throne".  It takes as long as it takes.  As they say on the street:"  It is what it is".

nameno1had

naturalproduct wrote:

nameno1had wrote:

Mandy711 wrote:

But Chris,how do you actually understand the game of chess then? Obviously, I am referring to those of us new or still getting comfortable with the game. I understand what you are saying, but I would rather take the time to learn the game on a deeper level by taking my time than playing as if I were in a tournament and relying on intuition (BTW, isin't intuition developed through many hours of positional analysis and practice). So, I think the time for that will come with enough experience. If I rushed through my CC games, I would be learning at a much slower rate. But...to each their own.

I wasn't implying anyone slower was wrong... I was meaning it as a reasonable goal....

AriaKun123

well for me i should think for about 1-3 minute before i move and dont forget to hold right mouse to planning something that also will help you think on puzzle, player or bots and also keep thinking or else your accuracy will be low in the match

MegaPro-123

5-10 seconds