Forums

Is chess useful for anything else than chess?

Sort:
TheMoonwalker

Hello,

Chess is a sport (or not) that you have to practise a lot to become a master.

Now, the question is: Is it worth to spend hours to learn and practise the game of chess?

Many people say that chess is just a waste of time, and many people end up as crazy after having played for a lifetime.

However, these people are probably people that don't play chess themselves.

What are your experiences?

Moon...Cool!

lukeyboy_xx

i think chess improves your brain and it helps you look at things more carefully instead of rushing

Hydrocannon

Chess is surely where your brains abillities are put to the test, those who say chess is a "waste of time" dont have experience. Meaning their Elo is 50, the elo everyone starts with. Thx for putting this up TheMoonwalker, this surely something that many players have questioned

phishcake5

Personally I been surprised at the amount of applicable lessons to life as I've applied my self to chess.

thefrozenicecube

Chess is about planning/tactics and so it helps you when you have to plan out things in life.  As long as you have the whole picture, you can play things out and hopefully it will lead you to where you want to be.

NotKasparov

Well, the Soviets wanted to use chess to prove their intellectual superiority over the capitalists...

TheMoonwalker

All people on this site play chess. That might be a reason why people defend their chess playing right now ;)

None - chess players would probably not be able to talk about this cause they dont know any thing about it.

amateurograpy

I play Chess with my girlfriend every now and then. It's a fun thing to do when you get together.

Dutchgalego

Like without chess is a long road without inns!

Am I wrong?

Narz

It beats watching TV.

Mental exercise keep one's brain healthy & can contribute to longevity & decrease the likelihood of dementia later in life.

It's also good for making social connections.

yoshtodd

TheMoonwalker wrote:

Hello,

Chess is a sport (or not) that you have to practise a lot to become a master.

Now, the question is: Is it worth to spend hours to learn and practise the game of chess?

Many people say that chess is just a waste of time, and many people end up as crazy after having played for a lifetime.

However, these people are probably people that don't play chess themselves.

What are your experiences?

Moon...!

Depends what you mean by "worth it". It takes enormous amounts of time to be masterful at anything. If chess provides you fun, satisfaction and friendship then I'd say yes it is worth it. There are lots of stupid things that people devote their whole lives to, but it is "worth it" to them so I respect that. Maybe chess is a meaningless pursuit, but how many activities in life can you call truly meaningful? Certainly not getting rich and being "respectable", which is what many aim for as their highest achievement. Strive to be your best at whatever interests you.

JauntyAngle

Great thread, I'm really not sure though. Many great people have wondered about the beauty of chess though, perhaps you'll only tell once you become a master.

Quetzalcoatlus

It's not worth it to become a master imo. It's only a board game after all.

Rael

It's about as useful as taking an English degree in school so you can be a skillful poet...

Oh dear God I've wasted my life.

Rael

I notice you don't play chess on the site, there Luke. Is this your troll account?

BirdBrain

Luke, if I say you don't exist, you do after all.  Hard to lie about the truth.  If you don't want to believe, fine, you can deny the truth.  But telling others God doesn't exist won't change the truth. 

yoshtodd

I take it that you are fairly poor?

I'm comfortable enough, why?

Rael

Ahh, well, cool cool.

So I take it you don't believe in an energy field created by all living things? It surrounds us and penetrates us? It binds the galaxy together?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

P.s. there's an open discussion forum you can debate the existence of God in. Doing it here is trollish and leads to ultimate thread-lockage.

Rael

Whatever you say Luke. Hope your bad mood doesn't get you banninated.

p.s. I find your lack of faith disturbing.

bobobbob

If you play chess, you can get a scholarship or get a job...

if you think getting a job isn't worth it, then...Undecided