Forums

Stuff Non-Chess Players Say

Sort:
Wind

Aren't the knights horses? I mean, I don't see a knight upon the horse, I just see a horse, plain and clear.

ThatChapThere

They are nonetheless symbolic, no matter how obtusely, of an adult male human.

Wind

Must have some imagination.

dragonair234
Newba wrote:

That made me lol.

Then again we're moving around pieces and assigning movements to these pieces. That's quite imaginative already.  

dragonair234
Newba wrote:

Aren't the knights horses? I mean, I don't see a knight upon the horse, I just see a horse, plain and clear.

Hmm, yeah, but it still wouldn't be an "inanimate" object since it's symbolic of a horse. But if it also can't be called a chessman nor chesswoman, and chesshorse doesn't sound right either, maybe just "chess piece" will have to do. Unless someone can think of something better. 

dragonair234
ThatChapThere wrote:

They are nonetheless symbolic, no matter how obtusely, of an adult male human.

I would actually argue that the knight is not gendered. What makes you think it's male? Just curious. Also I don't understand how the knight is human at all. Any explanation? 

ThatChapThere

In medieval times it was standard for a knight to ride a horse in battle. In old chess sets a knight was a man on horseback, and the piece has retained it's name (in English anyway). Since a knighthood is a nonhereditary title, it can only be bestowed on an adult for merit in battle (or nowadays sports or the arts). The equivalent female title is lady (for the wife of a knight) or dame (for a woman of merit), hence male.

krudsparov

A conversation a short while back when my 9 year old grandson who'd just learnt some chess moves came in and said "I can beat granddad at chess" I said " haha, yeah sure" he said " YEAH! I CAN BEAT HIM" then the wife said " Don't be silly Brad, he's practically a grand master!" lol

Wind
dragonair234 wrote:
Newba wrote:

Then again we're moving around pieces and assigning movements to these pieces. That's quite imaginative already.  

You're right!

In fact, it is kind of magical.

Iam2busy

When I record my games..."What's that nonsense?"

CookedQueen

"When I record my games..."What's that nonsense?""

Iam2busy

Why did u just repeat what I said?

spawkle529

When I  talk about how I do at a tournament to people who don't play chess.

Me:"Eh, I got 3/5."

Them:"What does that mean? Is that good, is that bad?"

Me:".... -.- ARE YOU FOR REAL??!?!?!?!?!"

CookedQueen
Iam2busy wrote:

Why did u just repeat what I said?

Why are you acusing me of something I didn't do?

Iam2busy

phpezQlsn.png@CookedQueen Screenshot here

Amplebeee
they like to say enpassant is cheating
Wind

It is.

CookedQueen
Iam2busy wrote:

do you really want me to explain you the word repeat?

Iam2busy

@CookedQueen Woah, chill man. I don't want to make an enemy. Sorry if I sounded rude or anything. I was just wondering.

dragonair234
Newba wrote:
dragonair234 wrote:
Newba wrote:

You're right!

In fact, it is kind of magical.

(-;