Forums

Sinquefield Cup 2014

Sort:
fabelhaft

Caruana and Aronian might be trying to find some practical repetition.

vultureway
varelse1 hat geschrieben:

I know the old saying how everybody has opinions, and they all stink.

But somehow, Kasparov's opinions stink more than most.

You are certainly inclined to elaborate on that a bit more. Otherwise I really can't see that statement would make any sense.

ajmeroski

Why would Maurice ask Caruana about his relationship status...

MSC157

Congrats Caruana. Good tourney, you finished with +7... Whaaat?! :D

netzach

He was the star of the show without doubt. :)

DrCheckevertim

I didn't watch the games today, seems like I didn't miss much.

DiogenesDue

I missed the post-event press conference...anyone know where I can find a copy online?

tooWEAKtooSL0W

3097 performance by Fabi... just imagine if he hadn't missed those wins in games 8 & 9, he would have had 9.5/10 and probably a 3200+ performance...

EscherehcsE
btickler wrote:

I missed the post-event press conference...anyone know where I can find a copy online?

It's already up on Livestream (at the end of the Round 10 video). I'd expect it to be on YouTube sometime tomorrow?

http://new.livestream.com/chess24/sinquefieldcup

DiogenesDue

Thanks.

rnunesmagalhaes
SicilianSveshnikov wrote:

3097 performance by Fabi... just imagine if he hadn't missed those wins in games 8 & 9, he would have had 9.5/10 and probably a 3200+ performance...

How does this compare with history's highest TPRs?

tooWEAKtooSL0W
rnunesmagalhaes wrote:
SicilianSveshnikov wrote:

How does this compare with history's highest TPRs?

I'd imagine it's probably the highest, considering he scored 8.5/10 in the strongest tournament ever.

Nazgulsauron

Sofia Polgar's 2928 tpr was quite remarkable since she was 14 and rated below 2300 at the time.

Kasparov's 3043 was in a rapid team match and Fischer's scores were in matchplay also rather than tournaments.

Chessmetrics came up with this list, using their own tpr formula, which values longer events (easier to score sick tpr's in 6-10 round events than in 30 rounds and fixes for time) in 2009:

No clue where Caruana would rank since I don't know the formulas, but surely they'll post an update on this sometime soon.

#
Player Score/% opp. Perf. Event

Anatoly Karpov

11/13 (85%)

2729 2899

Linares, 1994

Garry Kasparov

12/14 (86%)

2692 2881

Tilburg, 1989

Emanuel Lasker

18/22 (82%)

2667 2878

London, 1899

Garry Kasparov

10.5/14 (75%)

2758 2877

Linares, 1999

Mikhail Tal

20/28 (71%)

2716 2869

Bled/Zagreb/Belgrade (Cand.), 1959

Alexander Alekhine

13/14 (93%)

2626 2865

San Remo, 1930

Garry Kasparov

10/13 (77%)

2737 2863

Linares, 1993

Alexander Alekhine

19.5/24 (81%)

2644 2859

Bled, 1931

Garry Kasparov

11.5/15 (77%)

2715 2856

Belfort (World Cup), 1988

Garry Kasparov

10/13 (77%)

2728 2855

Linares, 1992

losingmove

At the press conference the GMs were asked to sum up Caruana's performance in one word...

Carlsen: Depressing

I like his honesty. He must be pretty pissed. All great humour is the truth...when Carlsen said 'depressing' after Naka and Topoalov used more conservative and complimentary words ,the room roared with laughter.

Good press conference...except for that woman who asked the first question and could have shown a tad more class by first congratulating Caruana

awesomechess1729
losingmove wrote:

At the press conference the GMs were asked to sum up Caruana's performance in one word...

I like his honesty. He must be pretty pissed. All great humour is the truth...when Carlsen said 'depressing' after Naka and Topoalov used more conservative and complimentary words ,the room roared with laughter.

Good press conference...except for that woman who asked the first question and could have shown a tad more class by first congratulating Caruana

Did Carlsen mean Caruana's wins depressed the other players or he thought Caruana somehow played poorly?

EscherehcsE
awesomechess1729 wrote:
losingmove wrote:

Did Carlsen mean Caruana's wins depressed the other players or he thought Caruana somehow played poorly?

I'm sure Carlsen meant that Caruana's wins depressed Carlsen, and probably the others too. There were a handful of humorous comments made by some of the players; I enjoyed watching it.

Elubas

Yeah Magnus probably meant it as a joke -- he is remarking on how unimpressive Caruana's result makes Carlsen's play look (just for this tournament).

fabelhaft

If Karpov's Linares 1994 used to be called the greatest tournament performance ever, I'd say Caruana now should get the nod for this tournament. As Topalov said, Caruana scored +7 in ten rounds without even being lucky in any way, and it was closer to +8 than +6. All Caruana's opponents were also ranked higher than tenth, while Karpov had several opponents ranked considerably further down the list. Karpov also had some "luck" as in for example Bareev's inexplicably playing a one move self mate in an even position, and he didn't beat #1 as Caruana did. Still of course an incredible achievement, and over 13 rounds, but I rank Caruana's Sinquefield Cup 2014 first.

losingmove

Well Carlsen was speaking purely from his own point of view when he said 'depressing'. He certainly has gone on record giving full credit to Caruana. When he said 'depressing' it was an honest answer. Totally. If I was Carlsen I'd be feeling down about someone else outshining me. Carlsen is number 1 and world champ...it's got to hurt when someone a year or so younger than you comes out with a winning streak like that. I just hope, and I'm sure he will, feel equal parts determination and desire to better Caruanas awesome performance in the future.

DiogenesDue

Does anyone know if there will still be live coverage of the after-events?  The relay-race-style game and the Chess960 match...I am curious how a game where 4 GMs and 1 patzer are making the moves in sequence will turn out...