Forums

Tell Me Why You Aren't a Premium Member

Sort:
AndyClifton
konanekane wrote:

I did pay for chess.com. So I'm a little off-topic...

Let me guess...you're new here, right? Laughing

theoreticalboy

Oh god, change, why is there so much change?!?!

kco

yeah you notice tboy.

AndyClifton

The only thing I really don't like is that stupid nagging italics line in your comment box...it's gonna be a nuisance having to ignore that thing every time.

the_cheradenine

Well, I am not a premium member because I don't really feel like watching all those instructional videos (I prefer playing instead, or just reading a good book) ... sure, there are some good lessons out there, but there is a lot of free content on the internet, so it only pays off if you're watching them frequently.

Also, I don't think there is such a thing as 'freeloading' here. It's true, we are using the software and services created by a team of people, something which requires time and resources to make and maintain, but... the main asset of chess.com (as well as any other chess-playing website) is the number of users. Facebook is free for the same reason, as well as Twitter, etc. If only premium accounts existed on chess.com, how many people would be playing? Even more importantly, if there was 10 times less users, would the ones that are premium members now be willing to pay to play here?

We may not all be paying membership fees, but we are participating by playing, posting on forums, writing blogs, etc. In other words, we are investing our time (which is not free) in the website, which increases its value. If you think about it, the total value of your invested time - when you calculate how much you're payed by hour - is much higher than the membership fee. So it is a sort of a mutually beneficial relationship. We come here and play and enjoy playing - and the site benefits from this as well :)

corpsporc
Panmumu wrote:

I am in China, you can not believe how hard it is to get money from point A to point B.

What if A overlaps B?

1shtar

well im just not that good at Chess and if i had the primo deal, all it would do is tell me how crap i was in detail..:-p

madhacker

Have my own methods of training which work for me, prefer to use those than the ones on this site. Chess.com is just for playing online blitz for fun, which is free.

corrijean
chrisr2212 wrote:
corrijean wrote:
chrisr2212 wrote:
corrijean wrote:
chrisr2212 wrote:

that's the irish system, corrijean

I alway thought of the Irish system as being more like this:

looks like one of the better irish schools (possibly private)

God bless the kids

I was surprised at the percentage of schools that are religious in Ireland. Here most schools are secular.

[warning... off-topic discussion, those serious about freeloading please bypass]

Hi corrijean,

with the increased international diversity here, there have been television debates about this...

historically there has been excessive control by the irish clergy (cannot go into that in further detail on this site)....

the current irish minister for education has stated that "formal religious instruction in schools take up valuable class time that could be used in other ways, such as improving reading and math skills".

"It takes up a lot of time, some people suggest it might be done by parents or parish, perhaps within the school building but outside school teaching hours”.

One think I wondered about was funding sources. If churches are paying for a good bit of the schools, it would give them more of a right to have control over what is taught.

Pawn_Xchange_Master

I like freebies. Thats why.

AndyClifton
chrisr2212 wrote:
[warning... off-topic discussion, those serious about freeloading please bypass]

On one of my threads everything is on-topic. Smile

AndyClifton
snakesbelly wrote:
topics I believe the OP really had in mind when he started this thread. 

Actually, all I was really doing was mocking that other thread asking the turnipheads to say why they're premium members. Smile

konanekane
AndyClifton wrote:
konanekane wrote:

I did pay for chess.com. So I'm a little off-topic...

Let me guess...you're new here, right? 

You got that right Sealed

GhostNight

sarsaila, You are a good chess player and a benefit to the game of chess!  But I feel you are being a little unfair why you would not be a premium memeber. All the chess sites have this problem, not a good reason to deprive your self from viewing/learning from the marvelous chess videos, and all the other aids available.  I am watching the stonewall videos right now, its quite a fascinating defence for black!  Cheers 

AndyClifton

Stonewall videos for turnipheads:

Stonewall videos for the rest of us:

tomasborlin

I'm poor. Is that reason enough?

AndyClifton

It's as good a reason as any. Smile

JoshuaChess960

I'm a kid and I cant afford to do so..... I plan to ask my parents to give me some......

mrsmokeymad

i'm happy to be a premium member

ruffian1

I am a premium member,but I am tinking of becoming a "free" member again ,now that the layout is so bad,and things no longer work.