Forums

The reverse troll

Sort:
grantweep

I'm sure we've all had our fair share of opponents who love to disconnect while in a hopelessly lost position. So, sometimes for fun I like to do the opposite.

If I am playing live chess and winning very badly (usual scenario is something like: opponent only has king, I have 3-4 passed pawns and a rook or so), sometimes I needlessly prolong mate. I'll give myself a few extra rooks, maybe a bishop. Then, I tease a little in the chatbox, announce my intention to leave the game running for 4-5 minutes or so while I do a few chores around the house.

Thoughts? So far I haven't actually run out of time myself, although it could definately happen if the dishes take too long to do. Maybe I just have a weird sense of humour.

batgirl

Thoughts?  Here's mime: That's both juvenile and inappropriate.

waffllemaster

Sometimes when I'm completely winning, I'll pass up an obvious mate to go for a prettier mate.  Usually just prolongs it 2 or 3 moves, but I'm sure they're wondering why I didn't just play the mate right away (while I'm wondering why they don't just resign).

But to answer your question, I agree with batgirl.

grantweep

Juvenile? yeah, I can see why you might think that.

Inappropriate? Naw, I'm not forcing anybody to play with me. You can resign at any time, I fail to see how its inappropriate apart from being offensive :P

Tin-Cup
batgirl wrote:

+1

waffllemaster

Heh, well I guess you're right they could just resign.  Shouldn't be a big deal because they're losing anyway right?

But ok, it is juvenile :p

grantweep

Yes Waffle. It also gives them a chance of winning if I don't make it back in time. If anything, im actually giving them a second chance here! Come on, it's not so much juvenile as much as a sign of playful boredom.

steve_bute

I reserve a similar treatment for players who both (1) don't respond to a courteous pre-game greeting and (2) continue play after all reasoned hope is gone. I stop moving when it's my turn and mate in one ... cut my nails, check on laundry, rinse a few dishes ... and return to move with a few seconds left. No one, I repeat NO ONE, has ever resigned ... and from that I must conclude that they enjoy the alternative and I am therefore doing them a pleasant service.

waffllemaster
steve_bute wrote:

I reserve a similar treatment for players who both (1) don't respond to a courteous pre-game greeting and (2) continue play after all reasoned hope is gone. I stop moving when it's my turn and mate in one ... cut my nails, check on laundry, rinse a few dishes ... and return to move with a few seconds left. No one, I repeat NO ONE, has ever resigned ... and from that I must conclude that they enjoy the alternative and I am therefore doing them a pleasant service.

Pre-game greetings are fine, but saying hi while my clock is ticking I find a tiny bit rude because it's distracting.  I don't care if it's on move 1, we can chat and say gg after the game is over.

I don't reserve any special treatment for anyone, just giving you a different perspective on it.

waffllemaster
grantweep wrote:

Yes Waffle. It also gives them a chance of winning if I don't make it back in time. If anything, im actually giving them a second chance here! Come on, it's not so much juvenile as much as a sign of playful boredom.

Don't take it too hard, it's not as if I represent the model of supreme maturity Wink  We all have to be a bit juvenile from time to time to stay sane.

steve_bute

"saying hi while my clock is ticking I find a tiny bit rude"

Why not say hi before moving? As one would face-to-face? I always do.

nameno1had

I think it is patronizing...

However, this doesn't mean I would forbid it. Sometimes I think people deserve a taste of their own medicine.

waffllemaster
steve_bute wrote:

"saying hi while my clock is ticking I find a tiny bit rude"

Why not say hi before moving? As one would face-to-face? I always do.

If the clocks have started I don't like it.

It may also have to do with how I look at a game of chess.  In my mind to win, you really have to make the opponent suffer.  If we're in the middle of a game, I'm not in a friendly mood.

After the game (face to face games) I'll smile and talk and joke about the game and be your friend.  But during the game I'm trying to make you suffer.

Caesar_Reborn
LisaV wrote:

That isn't being a reverse troll.  That's being a dick.

+1

ivandh
batgirl wrote:

No, here's a mime:

heinzie

Reverse troll? You're a genious!

Fear_ItseIf
Caesar_Reborn wrote:
LisaV wrote:

+1

+2

eddysallin

the planet is loaded w/ all kinds of things,some wonderful and amazing....others usefull, and then there are those who are just plain stupid 

Tin-Cup
Fear_ItseIf wrote:
Caesar_Reborn wrote:
LisaV wrote:

+1

+2

LOL

Zen

When reading the OP, I first thought that reverse trolling would be to resign immediately in a completely winning position.

I was disappointed.