Forums

what are the rules and differences between standard , Biltz and Bullet chess?

Sort:
JOLYGHANDOUR

what are the rules and differences between standard , Biltz and Bullet  chess?

philidorposition

Bullet rating - For games under 3 minutes.

Blitz rating - For games of 3 minutes to 14 minutes.

Standard rating - For games 15 minutes and longer

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/94/0/why-are-there-three-different-ratings-in-live-chess

The rules of chess apply them the same, the only difference is the time control.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Wait! None of these answers are accurate, since they do not address increment.

Why is 1 2 bullet but 1 3 is blitz? 3 0 is blitz, and so is 2 2, but 2 1 is bullet. And if the site ever implemented a starting time of 0 minutes then 0 4 is even bullet, inexplicably, because by the end of the game you can actually have several minutes.

JOLYGHANDOUR

Thanks , 

JOLYGHANDOUR

I would like to know any link for downloading a software for teching opening  

pwwaring
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Wait! None of these answers are accurate, since they do not address increment.

Why is 1 2 bullet but 1 3 is blitz? 3 0 is blitz, and so is 2 2, but 2 1 is bullet. And if the site ever implemented a starting time of 0 minutes then 0 4 is even bullet, inexplicably, because by the end of the game you can actually have several minutes.

I think the increment is added to the base based on a 40 move game assumption.

Irontiger

On this site, there is apparently another difference (according to a thread I've read a couple of months ago) : the rating moves the same whether a game is lost by checkmate, resignation or timeout in standard or blitz, but not in bullet. The reason being (probably) that timeouts are considered a less clean win than checkmate, but this obviously leads to abuse...

Skwerly

a loss is a loss; same rating points lost lol.

Irontiger

Well, apparently this is not the case.

But again, I don't have the source. If someone here plays bullet...

fianchetto123

The principles of Biltz chess remain a mystery to me. 

Standard is played by slow thinkers and Bullet by fast thinkers. 

More information needed?

Irontiger
fianchetto123 wrote:

More information needed?

Hum.

Actually, I do believe bullet involves less chess and more fast mouse-moving, unlike blitz. Basically :

-standard = "real" chess, where you are supposed to think as much as you can on every move and the time limit is high,

-blitz = "swindle" chess, where you can play dubious moves or moves you are too lazy to calculate thoroughly if you are sure it will consume your opponent's time, but not if you are clearly losing afterwards,

-bullet = "mouse" chess, where you can play anything even clearly losing if it wins enough time to flag your opponent (typically, you will probably draw a K vs K+R endgame when the opponent has less than 10s, so...)

My opinion is obviously biaised.

and yes, it's blitz, not biltz...

SmyslovFan

Play blitz as if it were standard chess, only don't filter your attacking ideas too much. 

Attacks win, whether it's blitz or standard chess. Look for SOUND attacks. If you can't refute it, play it. Let your opponent refute it and learn.

Endgame technique is just as important in blitz as in standard chess. 

Oh, and play faster.

fianchetto123
Irontiger wrote:
fianchetto123 wrote:

More information needed?

Hum.

Actually, I do believe bullet involves less chess and more fast mouse-moving, unlike blitz. Basically :

-standard = "real" chess, where you are supposed to think as much as you can on every move and the time limit is high,

-blitz = "swindle" chess, where you can play dubious moves or moves you are too lazy to calculate thoroughly if you are sure it will consume your opponent's time, but not if you are clearly losing afterwards,

-bullet = "mouse" chess, where you can play anything even clearly losing if it wins enough time to flag your opponent (typically, you will probably draw a K vs K+R endgame when the opponent has less than 10s, so...)

My opinion is obviously biaised.

and yes, it's blitz, not biltz...

Clearly you are ignorant of bullet chess. I can probably win K vs K+R endings with 2 or 3 seconds on the clock if not less. If I hang a piece against a strong player on move 6, I am almost sure to lose. It is not even close to "mouse" chess as most non-bullet players describe it. 

SmyslovFan

Ozzie's comment about increments is important. Most avid bullet players rarely play with an increment because it changes the game too much.

Blitz chess is different though. The World Championships use 3 2 time control rather than 5 0. This allows for a player who has reached a won endgame to win that endgame. It makes the game less random and the quality of the game improves. 

Every elite GM plays blitz, at least some of the time. There's no reason to denigrate blitz. The players who are addicted to blitz and even blitz their moves in slow time controls need to lay off the game. But despite the preachings of many (mostly American) players, blitz does not hurt your ability to think. Blitz, in moderation, actually helps!

fianchetto123

Bullet helps as well. Tactics, board vision, winning won positions (and yes you should be able to win with an extra queen in a king and pawn endgame with single digits on your clock)