Forums

What is wrong with me?

Sort:
onlyaman

Why do I have to be so stupid and promote all my pawns while his king is trapped then I make one stupid mistake and stalemate. Can someone help me so I don't make stupid endgame blunders.

kco

Do you know anything about stalemate ? Where a King has no legal move is a stalemate=draw. That what happen in all these games here.

onlyaman
kco wrote:

Do you know anything about stalemate ? Where a King has no legal move is a stalemate=draw. That what happen in all these games here.

I know. At the end I kind of stop thinking. What can I do so I don't stalemate. 

kco

Give your enemy king some space so that it can move around until you give the check that make the checkmate.

shiro_europa

just pay attention..

Tnk64ChessCourse

You need to check for stalemates, see if he has any legal moves in order to avoid it.

kco
let look at your last game starting from promoting a queen
kco

on the 64th move ...Qe3 driving to king toward the corner (a8)

Kel-G-426

It's easy to get relaxed and make simple oversights in winning positions - or perhaps you get too eager to finish off your opponent and forget to look for the pitfalls.  What really stinks is that your opponents are getting rewarded for their dumb perseverance.  The next time you play someone who refuses to quit, just take an extra minute to look before you make your move.  In fact, you should wait as long as time allows even you've already decided on your move.  If they want to drag things out, so can you.Wink

kco
kelgaard wrote:

It's easy to get relaxed and make simple oversights in winning positions - or perhaps you get too eager to finish off your opponent and forget to look for the pitfallsAgree with that statement What really stinks is that your opponents are getting rewarded for their dumb perseverance.  The next time you play someone who refuses to quit, just take an extra minute to look before you make your move. Yes In fact, "you should wait as long as time allows even you've already decided on your move.  If they want to drag things out, so can you." Disagreed with that one is "unsportman like" is consider to be rude but not breaking the rule. The best thing to do is to finish off the game with a checkmate in the quickest possible way.

vincent_pang

If you check him, it can't be stalemate.

kco
vincent_pang wrote:

If you check him, it can't be stalemate.

that is true is only when  the opponent turn to move and  if no other pieces (usually pawns) can't make a move nor the king can make a legal move is stalemate.

polydiatonic

You should learn some basic mating patterns so that you know what you're trying to do when you get a material advantage.   Try Bobby Fischer teaches chess or use the tactics trainer here.

orangehonda

You play well enough during the other parts of the game -- it seems like someone taught you to take away free squares around the enemy king and then checkmate it.  This is good advice which helps beginners not aimlessly check a king around -- but if you follow it too far and take away every square when no other pieces are around it's stalemate. 

Like Padman said if you became familiar with some mating patterns it would help you out a lot -- the following puzzles are positions from the games you shared.  1, 2, and 3 are mates in one.  The 4th puzzle is from the same game as the 3rd but is a bit harder, it's a mate in 2.  Two different moves lead to mate in 2, but it only lets me have one correct answer.

Take_it_easy_on_me

haha I had the same incident once as the first one you showed, except I had 4 queens when I stalemated the poor guy. :P

kco

Mr amandeep1 this is a nice game you had is was good. Stick with the turn based for a little while.

gbidari

That's one of those questions that is best not asked of others but asked of yourself after taking a good hard look at the scary insides of your head.