Forums

what would be the result if morphy had played up against kasparov?

Sort:
armhow

I hope Yereslov will watch the famous and immortal games of Mikhail Tal. This way he will not belittle Tal's chess genius abilities.

netzach
batgirl wrote:

I don't advocate treating him, or anyone so abrasive, sensitively, but I do advocate not persecuting him.

That is the natural to & fro of social-interaction, debate, growing-up in male competitive environment ?

Do not see persecution (at least not by myself).

I see a young person sounding out how to assert themselves in adult-conversation.

I will not baby him. You can if you wish.

Metastable

Batgirl, you're like the conscience this thread (nay, these forums) never had. Props to you :-)

armhow
Metastable wrote:

Batgirl, you're like the conscience this thread (nay, these forums) never had. Props to you :-)

Yeah it should not have been that bad but fun if Batgirl did not lead us to such negative perspective.

netzach
Yereslov wrote:
batgirl wrote:
Yereslov wrote:
batgirl wrote:

Would he have posted an Emily Dickenson poem??

You aren't welcome here.

and you are??

:-D

I am. I find it hard to respect players I can wipe the floor with (not including my butt).

armhow

Funny thing Yereslov must have been enjoying this thread too. Any comments here Yeres!!! Lol!!! You have become the subject of this thread, you have made yourself an issue of intrigue. What can you say of Batgirl's convictions and to the rests of us supposedly guilty of such behavior. I hope Oprah is a member of chess.com.

batgirl

I'm not a conscience and I'm disinclined to suggesting how people behave.  But when every other post is mocking one certain person, something feels wrong.  That's all I'll say on this matter.

TheGrobe

Something generally is wrong when that occurs. Differences in opinion appear to be what specifically that something is.

batgirl
netzach wrote:
Yereslov wrote:
batgirl wrote:
Yereslov wrote:
batgirl wrote:

Would he have posted an Emily Dickenson poem??

You aren't welcome here.

and you are??

:-D

I am. I find it hard to respect players I can wipe the floor with (not including my butt).

And I chose to ignore his comment.  It was that easy.

Metastable

I wasn't trying to use  "conscience" in any negative sense. It's actually refreshing to see a normal, human, conscionable response to a thread buried amongst the usual firehose of internet vitriol.

batgirl

Now...  that's all  :-D

netzach

He chose to interrupt the flow of the thread (as far as I can ascertain re-reading it) & has since then only been subject to gentle-chiding from the main-contributors trying to steer the topic back on track ?

TheGrobe

An alternate rationale for Batgirls approach is that he's a raging troll and we should all refuse to play into his provocations. Only works if we all do it, though. No surprise these things degenerate quickly into rampant flaming.

Here_Is_Plenty
Yereslov wrote:

Morphy lived in an era of patzers. 

Why do we consider him that great?

Most of his wins result from a really bad blunder that no 1200 would miss today.

If he time travelled and came to this era, he might able to play at club level.

Perhaps he could even reach a rating of 1500+.

After Batgirl's spirited defense of the underdog I waded through page after page of tripe, making sure that we were not being unfair.  After going back about twenty pages from this end, I thought "Well, ok this is proving nothing, I can't find the start of his nonsense."  I went right back to the beginning of the thread (my first post was post 5 and actually attempted to answer the question at hand as did many of the early ones).  Yereslov piped in with posts 33 and 34 and never stopped trolling since.  Given that trolling includes posting something inflammatory designed to provoke an adverse response, either the above first post of his is trolling or he is really really stupid.  He set out his stall with that remark and then proceeded to belittle anyone who disagreed with him.  We did not declare war on him, he declared war on us.  Us being those who were prepared to listen and debate.  I did say in post #5 that Kasparov would have annihilated Morphy but I gave reasons why that made sense, I believe.  Sorry, Batgirl, you are a fair and lovely person but you are defending a scoundrel, a rogue, a popinjay who does not deserve your championship.

zborg

Inspector Lewis could not have said it better.  More power to both of you.

@Batgirl is quite thoughtful, but perhaps too forgiving.

@Youraslob, however, remains outstanding in his field.

Here_Is_Plenty

Having said that Joey, Morphy's uncle probably would have beaten me.  His uncle's cleaning lady would probably have beaten me.  Simply breathing the same air as Morphy would have raised surrounding people's rating points.  This of course explains why Kasparov always used an oxygen tent during matches so his opponents did not steal his inspiring vapors.

corrijean

Sounds like an excellent idea.

corrijean

My husband (stats_man) was in New Orleans a couple years ago and visited Morphy's tomb. I haven't been to New Orleans yet, but would very much like to go.

Here_Is_Plenty

corrijean, if you do go look out for Kasparov with a medium, trying to settle this thread once and for all.

corrijean

Laughing