Forums

Why are there no websites willing to give out free information?

Sort:
Ziryab
nameno1had wrote:

I think I actually need to check with staff because, I could have sworn you mention the three links provided by the OP and you creating your own database on SCID but have since edited it try quelling my argument. In the even that I did read it else where, though I don't see it anywhere in the rest of the thread either, which by the way is quite peculiar to me, It is possible I was confused and wrong. However, until such a time that I can verify it, I certainly am sticking to my guns. I am way too young to be going senile already.

I was the OP in the thread that you are referencing. Here's the initial post. (Now somebodyyson is gonna attack me again for posting it.)

Ziryab wrote:

The endless threads about database use in correspondence ("online", turn-based, slow) chess are dominated by players who display misconceptions concerning how and why databases are used. Most of these old canards have been discussed in detail in a series of posts that I have placed on my blog.

Have a look at these posts so that we can have an intelligent discussion.

Reading Annotations

Playing a novelty on move twenty in a line of the French Defense brought victory in the final game of a tournament, evened the score with my opponent, and gave me a share of first place. The event was a French Defense Thematic on Chess.com that began in July 2009 and finished a few days ago. The event began with 32 players paired in groups of four. Within each group, contestants played two games against each opponent with the top two in each group advancing to the next round. By the fifth round there were five players in two groups. There would have been three players in the final round, but the third player was banned for cheating. The banned player scored an impressive 28-0-0 record and was in clear first until the purge.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2011/10/reading-annotations.html

Databases and Their Discontents

Ever since the dawn of civilization, humans have sought help in games of chess that did not conclude in a single sitting. Such help takes many forms. Sometimes the help is actively encouraged. Other times it is forbidden.

When I was young, top level chess tournaments and world championship matches were characterized by adjournments. After many hours of play, a competitor would seal a move, eat a small meal, and go to sleep. While he slept, teams of seconds would labor through the night, analyzing the likely continuations. After a night of sleep and a hearty breakfast, the player would spend the morning with his seconds learning the results of overnight research. He returned to the game fully prepared for the next stages.

When I started playing correspondence chess, I began to value another sort of assistance: reference books. While playing my games, I would pore through every chess book within reach looking for comparable positions. Playing better correspondence chess became a principal motive for acquiring certain books. The benefits of this research spilled over into my non-aided games. More often I found myself playing openings that I had studied in great detail with practical application to some game in progress.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2011/03/databases-and-their-discontents_28.html

Playing with Databases

In correspondence chess, players use books and databases to aid them in the opening, and sometimes in the ending as well. Tablebases, on the other hand, are generally forbidden when engines are not allowed. It's a rare game that reaches a position that can be entered successfully in theShredder Endgame Database. Moreover, the consensus of most turn-based site arbiters appears to be that doing so is tantamount to engine use.

Computers have "solved chess" when six or fewer pieces remain, and they are hard at work on the seven piece, which might be completed in the next few years. Eight and nine piece solutions are years away, and solving the game from the opening move remains a theoretical pipe dream. Three and four piece tablebases have been included with Fritz software for quite some time, and I believe the five piece are part of the package now. My old notebook computer that I bought in 2001 lacks the five piece because its 20 GB hard drive cannot provide the slightly more than 7 GB of free space that is required. In contrast, 30 MB are sufficient storage space for all three and four piece endings.

Each piece dramatically increases the space needed. The six piece tablebases exceed the capacity of most home computers, as they require an estimated 1.2 terabytes of storage space (see David Kirkby's discussionat ChessDB). When computers finally manage to work out the seven piece endings, how much space will be needed to store the data?

Now, consider the beginning of the game when there are thirty-two pieces on the board. After one move--White and Black--there are four hundred possible positions that can be reached. White can lose by checkmate on the second move eight ways, and can deliver checkmate on the third via347 unique sequences. By the end of the fourth move (eight plies), there are 84,998,978,956 possible move sequences. Let's round the number to eighty-five billion.

http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2009/01/playing-with-databases.html 

Read every link. There may be a reference to SCID, but there are no references to me using it. I have used ChessBase 8 and ChessBase 11 to modify my databases. I have over 200 chess books, and some of these are mentioned too. I have the first 113 issues of Chess Informant, and these play a significant role in one of the articles. 

Somebodysson

comment deleted by me because it was unnecesarily snarky. he asks a question, we answer, and he doesn't respond. ...