Forums

Why do some chess players allow their game to time out?

Sort:
chessbeginner77

I don't understand why some chess players on this site rather waste their opponent's time and time out rather than resign.

tryst

Lost track of time, got distracted, being a jerk, and testing the clocks. That's all I could think of.

artfizz

Here are some possible reasons:

1. having a policy of NEVER RESIGNING
  2. lost interest in the 'lost' game
  3. clinging on for a miracle e.g. opponent spontaneously combusting
  4. winding up the opponent
  5. taking the full allocation of time (and then some) to look for an escape
  6. busy with some other activity
  7. hold the view that resigning and timing out are equivalent
  8. in denial that the game is lost

In turn-based, how can you waste your opponent's time?

chessbeginner77

interesting responses. What do you think should be done to prevent time outs?

tryst

Threatening physical harm.

Do the people who pay for a membership given the right to request no-timeout games if they wish?

chessbeginner77

i didn't know that membership allows no time out games.Surprised

woton

What's the definition of a "no time-out" game?  All of the games on Chess.com have time controls.  A player is allowed to run out of time.

chessbeginner77

i guess a player must make a certain number of moves in a certain time or they lose. Anyone to clarify?

tryst
woton wrote:

What's the definition of a "no time-out" game?  All of the games on Chess.com have time controls.  A player is allowed to run out of time.

My apologies for being unclear. I meant no-vacation games in turn-based. With a membership are you given the opportunity to challenge opponents in a game while voiding vacation time in your challenge request?

chessbeginner77

Most people time out without using up their vacation time.

woton

@tryst  There are some no-vacation tournaments.  I don't think that you can have a no-vacation individual game.

tryst
chessbeginner77 wrote:

Most people time out without using up their vacation time.

Again my sincere apologies for remaining unclear,chessbeginner77. My question about vacation time was an entirely seperate question from your original question about, what can be done to prevent time-outs? I maintain threatening physical harm would be effective.

chessbeginner77

interesting to note that everyone posting so far has no time outs on their games.

tryst
woton wrote:

@tryst  There are some no-vacation tournaments.  I don't think that you can have a no-vacation individual game.

Thanks, wotonSmile

chessbeginner77

sorry for being unclear. I mean turn based games. They waste the most time.

Hermes3
tryst wrote:
what can be done to prevent time-outs? I maintain threatening physical harm would be effective.

Why wait till the game is about to time out? You should start threatening them as soon as you lose a pawn. 

kyleevon

if you have no vacation time and a family emergency comes up chess takes a backseat to family. This almost happened to me once.

chessbeginner77

I thought that chess was a non-violence game. Threatening would probably result in the opponent timing out anyway.

woton

Several players take on more games than they can manage.  They become overwhelmed and let the games expire.

chessbeginner77

That is a possibility. But some people do it on purpose for some reason.