Forums

average time per move

Sort:
Spenser8

I'd like to get my average time down so I can enter certain tournaments. How many (most recent?) games are used to calculate it?

Patzer24

The average time per move is calculated from ALL of your games, not just recent ones. As you continue to play quick moves in your current games you should see your average time per move go gradually down.

rooperi

Which is a problem if you have a lot of games. I think it should reflect current habits, not historical ones.

hankstr

How often is this stat recalculated? Weekly? Monthly? Mine has not budged even one minute despite many recent, rapid moves. It does not seem mathematically possible.

Gold_Grizzly

I have the same problem. My average time has been at 3 hours 15 minutes for about a year; it's hard to imagine that I could really be that consistent. Maybe a bug?

hankstr

I suspect a software bug.  It rarely changes.  Mine had been stuck at 9 hours until I posted here, then magically dropped to 8 hours 45 minutes.   Odd to see such a 'dramatic' change instead of working its way down minute by minute?  Now its been stuck at 8 hours 45 minutes - maybe this post will help.  :) 

AlCzervik
rooperi wrote:

Which is a problem if you have a lot of games. I think it should reflect current habits, not historical ones.

Yep. It can be a problem if you have a lot of games under your belt, but now you are moving a lot quicker than you did, say, last year. One could be restricted from joining quick tournaments.

I really don't understand why time per move is for all your games, but the t/o ratio is 90 days. Both should be fairly similar and more reflective of one's more recent play.

rooperi

Well, I have 6000 games here, at 60 mins per move.

If I play my next 500 games at 10 mins per move, my avg time will change to 56 mins.

hankstr

Well, I only have 387 games, and some of these ended after only one move on my part (the opponent never responded).  I've never timed out on a game.  Nevertheless, I would think my avg time would change relatively quickly, especially when it is 9 hours per move!  I am convinced there is a software bug.   

ictavera

I agree that it'd be better to calculate on recent games only.

k-scope

mine never changes.

whirlwind2011

The statistic is simply rounded to the nearest 15 minutes. When I first joined the site, it was accurate to the nearest minute, so it changed much more frequently. These days, we only see "3 hrs" or "3 hrs 15 min," etc.

pistolpete44us
Patzer24 wrote:

The average time per move is calculated from ALL of your games, not just recent ones. As you continue to play quick moves in your current games you should see your average time per move go gradually down.

where does this stat show up?

ictavera

Go to your home and click on your "Online Chess" stats.

hankstr

If it is calculated from ALL games, then I assume that live chess counts? Else the statement on the website should be amended.

whirlwind2011

@hankstr: The statistic pertains only to Online Chess (correspondence) games. This is why it appears on the Online Chess page, but not the Live Chess page.

whirlwind2011

@hankstr: I just found this webpage:

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/123/3/how-is-average-time-per-move-calculated

The article specifies that the average time per move pertains only to Online Chess.

tayl

I agree with many of the comments already made... Like timeouts, time/move should reflect more recent habits. I've had this account for four years, and taking into account my entire chess.com playing history won't be helpful at all to someone trying to figure out how quickly I will be likely to play in the upcoming days/weeks.

Just tought I'd echo some of the points made so maybe the powers that be will hear our collective voice :)

At the very least, it'd be nice to hear staff's rationale for not changing it to a 90 day memory. Even 120 or 180 day might better capture recent playing habits, but forever is too long.

hankstr

Count me in too for the 90 day memory.  I'm also waiting to hear the staff's rationale for not changing to this.

Maxchess42

I see there is no answer to this question from Staff even after 2 years. I agree with the sentiment above. If 90 days is too simple, then perhaps a weighted moving average, giving most weight to recent games.