Forums

Opponent time expired, draw game?

Sort:
Diablobo

I played an opponent with a 30 min time control, and their time expired. The game engine says the game was a draw due to insufficient material. His time had expired, so he loses the game. There should be no draw. This is unacceptable. I want a credit for the win, and the scores changed to reflect this.

JamesColeman

Good luck with that :)

GreenLeaf14

if u could not mate him with your remaning pieces then it is a DRAW.....these are the rules

AndyClifton

Uh-oh, looks like somebody else has found the rules unacceptable!

"And another thing:  I want to be able to shut off en passant.  I don't like it."

Pre_VizsIa

If you don't have the pieces to checkmate him, it's a draw, sorry.

Hey AC - please see my game analysis thread.

AndyClifton

I just did! Smile

blueemu
Diablobo wrote:

This is unacceptable.

Tell that to the World Chess Federation.

This isn't just chess.com's house-rule. It's the official FIDE rule.

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article

Except where one of the Articles: 5.1.a, 5.1.b, 5.2.a, 5.2.b, 5.2.c applies, if a player does not complete the prescribed number of moves in the allotted time, the game is lost by the player. However, the game is drawn, if the position is such that the opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal moves.

NimzoRoy

If his time didn't expire how would you mate your opponent with insufficient material? ANSWER: You couldn't - so why should you be credited with a win that is non-existent?

tliu1222

Well, a draw is better than what would happen if he didn't run out of time-a win for him!

tliu1222

Oh, also, HE could mate you with HIS remaining pieces so it was NOT a draw.

finns

chess.com could make a won game a draw, if it is knight v rook pawn and u have mate next move