Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
Ubik42
trysts wrote:

This is hilarious! I'm switching windows watching the Australian Open, listening to a song posted in my music thread, having a conversation about Gravity, and trying to figure out the quotes from movies, while spilling my wine all over the place!

Could you chew some bubble gum while you are at it?

littledragons

#4804 Winter's Bone?

trysts
Ubik42 wrote:
trysts wrote:

This is hilarious! I'm switching windows watching the Australian Open, listening to a song posted in my music thread, having a conversation about Gravity, and trying to figure out the quotes from movies, while spilling my wine all over the place!

Could you chew some bubble gum while you are at it?

Laughing

littledragons

Have you seen Blue is the Warmest Colour? Laughing

trysts
littledragons wrote:

Have you seen Blue is the Warmest Colour? 

Yes. Did you?

littledragons

Yes. It was one of the best films I've seen in a  long time. If you disregard the sex scenes, I'm not sure if the film would have been the same if it had been cut, but the rest was really unflinchingly real.

trysts

Yes, if they didn't have the pointless sex scene it would have been one of the great films of all time. I really think they could still cut the long sex scene out still, because it makes no sense.

I should add that there was another flaw for me. I thought the constant closeups of Adele were a bit much. It felt claustrophic after a while.

littledragons

I agree. I think it was more symbolic. If the director had left it out, it could be said that some parts of life has to be covered up. As it was, the statement the film was making, was that, there is nothing that has to be hidden, one can face anything. Which I think what was important for the main character. 

But I am glad you saw it.

goldendog
littledragons wrote:

#4804 Winter's Bone?

#4820 is Winter's Bone...where our protagonist has been beaten up in the barn by the women and her uncle Teardrop has come to retrieve her and exact punishment as appropriate.

trysts
littledragons wrote:

I agree. I think it was more symbolic. If the director had left it out, it could be said that some parts of life has to be covered up. As it was, the statement the film was making, was that, there is nothing that has to be hidden, one can face anything. Which I think what was important for the main character. 

But it wasn't like she chose to face anything. She hid the affair, and was pushed away. Her lover may have also hid the feelings she had for the woman she ended up being with. I didn't get the sense that either of them were honest with each other about their relationship. I thought it was more like an existential documentary, without having an agenda beyond that. The director failed to disclose what his real intentions were, in my view:)

trysts
goldendog wrote:
littledragons wrote:

#4804 Winter's Bone?

#4820 is Winter's Bone...where our protagonist has been beaten up in the barn by the women and her uncle Teardrop has come to retrieve her and exact punishment as appropriate.

I should see that movie.

goldendog
trysts wrote:

Are you going to disclose the movie for #4804, goldendog?

You deserve to die, but the life I was hoping to take was Jen's. Ten years I devoted to you, but you deceived me! You hid the manual's true meaning. I never improved but your progress was limitless. You know what poison is? An eight year-old girl full of deceit. That's poison!

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Jade Fox is confronting Jen, her old student, for decieving her.

I think some had it on the tip of their tongues.

trysts
goldendog wrote:
trysts wrote:

Are you going to disclose the movie for #4804, goldendog?

You deserve to die, but the life I was hoping to take was Jen's. Ten years I devoted to you, but you deceived me! You hid the manual's true meaning. I never improved but your progress was limitless. You know what poison is? An eight year-old girl full of deceit. That's poison!

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Jade Fox is confronting Jen, her old student, for decieving her.

I think some had it on the tip of their tongues.

That was a real puzzler, because I saw that movie, so the dialogue was familiar. But I don't think I would have ever realized what it was from.

Good one!

goldendog

Joe : [addressing Congress] There was a time when reading wasn't just for fags. And neither was writing. People wrote books and movies. Movies with stories, that made you care about whose ass it was and why it was farting. And I believe that time can come again!

littledragons
trysts wrote:
littledragons wrote:

But it wasn't like she chose to face anything. She hid the affair, and was pushed away. Her lover may have also hid the feelings she had for the woman she ended up being with. I didn't get the sense that either of them were honest with each other about their relationship. I thought it was more like an existential documentary, without having an agenda beyond that. The director failed to disclose what his real intentions were, in my view:)

But that is what I think the whole thing was about. That is what life is. Never having enough courage, but too much desire, being afraid, looking for love, trying to stand on your own, not fiting in. It is a mess, but she carries on despite her own failures and what circumstances throws at her. Two thumbs up :)

electricpawn
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

Tell him what he's won Johnny. Right you are Bob. Lovely gifts for our deparding contestants.   Marlon Brando + Martin Sheen in, "Apocalyisp Now"! Oh, the horror.

Josef Conrad - The Heart of Darkness (novel)

electricpawn

[Bobby wants plain toast, which isn't on the menu]

Bobby: I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

Waitress: A #2, chicken salad sand. Hold the butter, the lettuce, the mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee. Anything else?

Bobby: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.

Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?

Bobby: I want you to hold it between your knees.

Someone meentioned the passing of Karen Black. She played Raylene in this film.

ratatouie

electric pawn, have u bin on any good pin ball machines lately

ratatouie

hey tryst do u have any wrists hahahaha just funning

RocknRollWoman
electricpawn wrote:

[Bobby wants plain toast, which isn't on the menu]

Bobby: I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

Waitress: A #2, chicken salad sand. Hold the butter, the lettuce, the mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee. Anything else?

Bobby: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.

Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?

Bobby: I want you to hold it between your knees.

Someone meentioned the passing of Karen Black. She played Raylene in this film.

Ahhhhh  the magnificent  "Five Easy Pieces", with Jack Nicholson and Karen Black.  The final shot in that film is amazing, when you realize what he's done, and the camera just floats silently up into the sky......

This forum topic has been locked