Forums

The Science of Biological Evolution (no politics or religion)

Sort:
The_Ghostess_Lola

....and something else hon. If you wanna split hairs w/me ? There really isn't any "Science of Evolution". We are using science to look at evolution, am I wrong ? So, shouldn't we be saying something like, "The Natural Phenomena of Evolution" or "Science as Applied to Evolution" or "The Emergence of Evolution" or....4get it.

Pulpofeira

Hereb, natural and sexual selection are two sides of the same coin. At the end, it's all about what favours the individuals to reproduce themselves. One of those features can be the peacock's tail, and other, very obvious, is you need to be alive to have descendance, therefore the natural selection.

The_Ghostess_Lola

Good Point ! I remember Minewalk once talking how most animals love their young 'cuz it's shown thru nurturing and care. And this care is not 'cuz they're being selfish....quite the opposite.

So, my ? is....where in the evolutionary phenomena did the emotion of love begin ? IOW's, Pulpy made me think that it wasn't the strongest or the smartest or the fastest that choice of mates were made. It could just as ez'ly been availability. All of this affecting evolution and kix survival of the fittest to the curb.

And that introduces this huge element of right place-right time (happenstance & luck).

trysts
alex-rodriguez wrote:

There are Holocaust deniers. There are people who think the 9/11 atrocity was an inside job. There are people who deny the human race ever landed on the moon. There are evolution deniers. All of these people seem to have an incurable mental problem.

9/11 was most likely perpetrated and covered-up by high government officials in the U.S. It doesn't belong in the same category as the other two claims you mentioned;)

Pulpofeira

Of course, there are many ways to be the fittest.

trysts

ExceriseWink

Pulpofeira

*this language uses the same words for so many different meanings...* :_(

trysts

Laughing

Raspberry_Yoghurt
Elroch wrote:

Rasp, as I said, the only role of consciousness in evolution is as an aspect of phenotype that affects fitness.

Bergson's speculations from 1907 about evolution being non-random were never accepted and have been completely dropped as the naturalistic hypothesis has repeatedly proven adequate. There is not a single known natural example of anything but natural selection driving evolution. Moreover, there is no example of directed mutation: all the variation that occurs is explicable as random in nature.

[An exception would be genetic engineering by humans in recent decades, a form of consciously directed evolution.]

It is however true that the behaviour of organisms can affect the evolution of other organisms (albeit not consciously except in the case of humans). Eg it is the behaviour of flowers that have caused the evolution of the beak of the sword-billed hummingbird. Do the flowers do this consciously? No.

Agree with most of what you say. It's very few phenomenologists that were interested in Biology, and those that were, well it didnt go very far. From what I know, what they did wasn't much use to Biology, and nobody tried improving on it later on. Phenomenology just got other interest, it got mired into Heidegger's and Sartre's stuff, which is very far from Biology :)

I'd still say that maybe one day phen might come up with something a biologist could find interesting. If you got say a "perfect" phen. theory of some biological relevant thing (sexual attraction, love/pair bonding/family bonding) in the lifeworld (in lived experience), it might help biologists to come up with some experiments to solve some riddles about humans, and these solutions might then maybe be useful for other species? Who knows, will probly not happen but it could.

913Glorax12
pawnwhacker wrote:

Great, Elroch! I have no doubt that this will be the ultimate scientific thread on the subject.

May you have 10,000 posts of intellectual discourse, all the while lacking the loutish behavior of the very small minority of malcontents and mayhem causing trolls. 

Lets see here

913Glorax12

913Glorax12

913Glorax12

This is how nature works people!

Elroch
Herebrocker wrote:
The_Ghostess_Lola hat geschrieben:

Yes HB....you're right. Ppl are just looking for a ground zero 'hero'. Sorry to burst your balloon there Darwin worshippers. And let's not 4get....evolution is miles from a science. In fact, it's actually barely within the definition of a theory based on the lack of Consensus Reality.

this thread is about evolution - not about the evolution by natural selection from darwin.

'Which happens to be what happens in the real world, and has for the last 3.5 billion years. Indeed since natural selection is virtually a tautology, this is hardly surprising.

presently the science differenciate evolution by natural selection, by sexual selection and gendrift.

The evolution of genetic material over time comprises exactly two components: the deterministic one of natural selection and the random one of mutation. The latter causes an increase in diversity over time, but cannot result in genetic drift of any other kind except by a selective process.

Let me elaborate on that. Suppose random mutation produces variants in genetic information A and B. For A to become more common, it has to be replicated more than B. For A to become the only variant, B has to become extinct. Both of these are clearly examples of natural selection occurring.

The supposed argument about the importance of genetic drift rests solely on the observation that some instances of natural selection are the result of sporadic events which have no importance for long term viability. This is of course the case. To illustrate with a simple example, suppose variant A and variant B led to no intrinsic advantage, but that by chance, all the carries of A got eaten by crocodiles, while all the carriers of B did not. This would be natural selection, but the thing being selected (eg very specific location relative to crocodiles) happens to have no relationship to the genetic information. It is fair to view such things as drift, but its role is clear.

As for sexual selection, fron a gene-centric viewpoint this is merely a characteristic of the environment and doesn't have a special status. The subtlety of it is that sexually reproducing organisms evolve faster (this has a precise information theoretic meaning), so genes that are carried by such organisms have a general advantage. But this is only relevant to the comparison between the evolution of sexually reproducing species and asexually reproducing ones.

And if you are going to bring in this aspect of the fitness of genes, you need to also bring in the aspect of horizontal transfer, especially in microbes, which plays an analogous role (although less efficiently) providing a greater ability to adapt in organisms that use it, which provides a fitness benefit to all genes carried by such organisms over those in organisms that don't take advantage of horizontal transfer.

the idea that species can have a common ancestry and that species are transforming is about 2600 years old.

Interesting, but at the same time, people came up with all sorts of false hypothesis, some of which are still around in fundamentalist circles. Science is about establishing hypotheses as true, abd until that happens, hypotheses are just hypotheses. [Another good example is the atomic hypothesis].

the theory of darwin was in contradictio to the lamarckismus - but had many wide gaps.

then mendel came - with a system of rules for heredity

then the neodarwinismus came up as a combination of mendel and darwin.

then the first DNA was found

and now genetic and molecular biology are the science basic for the modern synthetic theory of evolution.

so - darwins theory was about evolution - but evolution is much more than this old theory

Yes, that is an excellent description. However, because Darwin was a very good scientist, there is very little that he did say that was false, and he said a great deal that remains true. No-one could disagree that a great deal of detailed understanding has been added in the last 140 years, with a detailed understanding of genetics being at the core.

and who says that evolution is not science - and in the same post that evolution = darwin - does not know enough about that theme to discuss it.

True. We see grand proclamations on this subject by people who lack any expertise. Their loudness is no replacement for in depth understanding of the science. Let me be unambiguous: Ghostess is one such person.

we know some theories about atomics - some are very old. of course no of these models are totally right - and of course the first ideas - 2400 years ago - were just theories or thesis - but in the meantime we built atomic bombs lol - and - the same dramatic development happened to the theories of evolution - darwins theorie was only one of about 100 known theories in the 19th century. and i wonder why people still talk about that artefact. shall we talk about the first atom-modells? would be the same.

The evolution of the atomic model would be a good topic for another discussion!

Off the top of my head, Democritus was a bright chap who postulate that atoms might have different shapes and features (such as ball and socket joints). He did not have the slightest idea of what materials different types of atoms might correspond to.

It was not until the time of Avogadro that further progress was made, leading to the idea of molecules of specific chemicals, and eventually to the idea of elements. de Lavoisier got the idea of elements partly right and partly dead wrong. These errors got sorted out by others including Mendeleev.

But even then, with the idea of elements being quite accurate, no-one know what an atom was like. It was only with Rutherford that people found out that atoms were made of a tiny nucleus and electrons which made them behave a bit like balls (although not always spherically symmetric).

And then complete understanding arose with quantum mechanics and the modern understanding of the constituents of atoms.

The only thing that survived from Democritus was the idea there was some list of fundamental materials, and these materials are well thought of as some number of atoms of that material.

Raspberry_Yoghurt

Especially if you recognize that darwin found that there is a selection and a changing but he did not know how parents give it to their childs for example - that he had no ideas about gendrift, or DNA - of course there is more than a natural selection possible and so its not a tautology.

Yeah his biggest mistake was his theory of inheritance. He thought the traits from both parents got mixed like a liquid and the offspring hot the "mixture" that then defines its traits.

Problem with this was that if all offspring becomes the average of its parants, all would move towards the average all the time and the species should end up looking like clones. And also mutations would get "diluted" before they could get a hold in the population.

Was solved because inheritance comes in "packs", you get 2 genes for eye color from your parents, and one is then dominnt, but the two eye color genes dont get mixed like Darwin thought they did.

He knew his inheritance theory was messed up, but couldnt figure out how to make it better.

The_Ghostess_Lola

I moved.

The_Ghostess_Lola

(Razz #580) He knew his inheritance theory was messed up, but couldnt figure out how to make it better.

....enter Mendel.

Raspberry_Yoghurt

Jesus you are 1755. Highest rated I ever played :)

The_Ghostess_Lola

Razz, my rating is 1450. I'm not 1755. I've played one online game in my life and a man let me win. And he was 1850+. 

Elroch

While I partly agree with you - it is a shame Darwin had not learnt of Mendel's exciting discoveries about the nature of inheritance - his view is also very appropriate for many things.

For example, characteristics of a very wide range of types are dependent on hundreds of genes (eg tendency to be tall or to get a certain type of ailment). People get a largely random mixture of genes from each parent, and these get combined with each other as a superposition.

A separate thing he had no knowledge of, and that Mendel's work hinted at, was that the genetic information contains pairs of related genes, one from each parent (for all but the X and Y chromosomes).

Indeed, there was a great deal Darwin did not know. That is his fault for living in the 19th century before the discovery of DNA, genomics, automated phylogenetic analysis and many other things!