Forums

Live Chess Timewasting

Sort:
Scottrf

I thought people were supposed to time out if they took more than half their time on a single move?

A game I'm playing now has been sitting since the 24th minute, he has one response and is down to the 8th minute.

Can we add a feature where you get a maximum of 1 minute to play the move if you only have 1 forced move available?

silentiarius

The half-time-per-move rule applies to live tournaments only.

Personally, I'd object to any rule interfering with my time management.

And how would you define "forced move"? A player is allowed to play any legal move, even a losing one.

But something should be done against suckers blundering away the game at move six and letting the clock run down ... <\rant>

Scottrf

There was a single legal move he took 24 minutes on.

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=316416199

silentiarius

Oh! That's different.

He had no reason to move any more. He should have resigned an the spot.

Unfortunately you can't do anything about such chess friends other than to block them.

1RedKnight99

He was just trying to annoy you.

Popcorn179

Maybe his mouse died. And he couldn't find batteries. Or his screen froze. Or his hands fell off. Or he had to go feed his llama. Or a piano fell on him. Or he hadn't noticed your move and still thought it was your turn. Or he was eating Cheetos and didn't want to get his mouse covered in cheese dust. Or he had a seizure, or a hemorrhage from his horrible play, or fell of his chair and strained his wrist. Or got kidnapped by a tuba band. Or suddenly remembered where he put his car keys, and rushed off to get them. Or accidentally pressed the flip board button, and was waiting for your move, thinking you were black. Or suddenly became very very happy for some reason, and decided to go knit oven mitts. Or had to take out his garbage. Or had to take out his neighbours garbage. Or had to answer the door. Or had to pick up pizza. Or had to watch a movie with his pizza. Or had to give his neighbour a back massage in thanks for taking out his garbage for him while he was away on vacation. Or went away on vacation. Or went away to eat trash. Or went away to eat his neighbour. Or started scribbling erotic cartoons in mspaint. Or got distracted by 4chan. Or posted erotic cartoons on 4chan. Or got arrested by the FBI for downloading movies illegally over the internet. Or got fustrated by your superior chess skills and opened up a new tab to start studying how to hack chess dot com live games, as he realised his only winning move would be to play 26... Qxg1#. Or maybe he thought he pressed resign but didn't click it properly. Or maybe he was a jerk.

bronsteinitz

Agree with the list. My life is also full of surprises not to mention a bio-break once in a while.

Scottrf
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I thought people were supposed to time out if they took more than half their time on a single move?

A game I'm playing now has been sitting since the 24th minute, he has one response and is down to the 8th minute.

Can we add a feature where you get a maximum of 1 minute to play the move if you only have 1 forced move available?

They can use their time however they want to use it.

Not in tournaments. And not within the fair play policy.

Thanks for bumping an 8 month old thread for that contribution though.