Forums

report disconnecters

Sort:
peterdubec

Hey -

I have a suggestion to consider - what if in every game u had a button - "report disconnecter" ? And lets say if a person was reported 10 times you would close his account .

NimzoRoy

That's a swell idea - NOT. Just what we need, people who don't know if they're using a PC, MAC or Univac reporting everyone who gets disconnected without having a clue as to why they disconnected. BUT, I kinda like the idea of getting rid of players I don't like by just reporting them 10x - esp the ones who are currently mopping me up in turn-based games.

peterdubec

ok, I got a little improved idea: one must be quite sure if he reports a person. If one does many fake-reports, his reliability gets lower and so his votes owuldnt matter. Or - if someone fake-reports a lot, I'd delete his own account...

Plus at the beginning, closing the account could be manual - I mean when someone gets reported 10 times - chess.com staff would check that guy - and see whether the reports were justified and then close him.

Scottrf

Does one get a title if they improve their reliability rating enough?

Boletus_CZ

We need no such a button for everything (when a player aborts a game, or disconnects/gets disconnected, or swears at their opponent, or ... ) is monitored automatically, i.e. by the system. Closing an account seems too harsh to me but I guess it can happen even now. Anyway, when a player breaks the Fair Play Policy their play is restricted, e.g. they have to wait 5 mins between games, they cannot abort games and so on.

kohai

You might want to see this before asking about reporting disconnectors as its not always their fault :(

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/livechess/why6?lc=1#last_comment

kohai

Those who do do it on purpose though are auto flagged then after repeating it in other games are restricted.

I know and do really understand how frustrating it is. People come here to play, not be kept waiting for someone to make a move, more so in longer games, its really annoying.

The forums are filled with things like 'my opponent left the game one move from checkmate'  or 'my opponent stopped moving in a lost position'

but then compare those with how many forum threads there are on here showing the opposite - 'i was restricted' 

Its hard finding a happy medium for this as no matter what we do some are going to be pleased, angry, upset, furious ..

Problem with having a 'report this person' button on live chess is that some will abuse it and report their opponent because they feel waiting 3 minutes in a 10|0 game is too long, or some who think its funny to press the button as a joke because their opponent is a friend and they don't think of consequences. Not everyone realises there are real people (staff) who are on the receiving end of these reports.

Boletus_CZ

Yes, you are right, Kohai. Nonetheless, I don`t believe that many players disconnect when they are losing their game. I may be wrong here but to do such a thing is too irrational to be frequent. Let us say I am losing badly. I can either:

• resign and lose,
  • or play on and lose 99 games out of 100,
  • or disconnect AND LOSE + get into trouble.

Why on earth should a man choose the worst way?

DalaiLuke
Boletus_CZ wrote:

Yes, you are right, Kohai. Nonetheless, I don`t believe that many players disconnect when they are losing their game. I may be wrong here but to do such a thing is too irrational to be frequent. Let us say I am losing badly. I can either:

resign and lose, or play on and lose 99 games out of 100, or disconnect AND LOSE + get into trouble.

Why on earth should a man choose the worst way?

... clearly you don't play much blitz!  LOL ... only because it happens regularly :)

Boletus_CZ

@DalaiLuke

No, I don`t. I have played 13 Blitz games (and 7 of them against the Chess.com Computer-Hard) only. But I think unethical (even illegal here) behaviour has to be purpose-driven. Most of us (if not all) break some rules in our lives to GET or to AVOID something. It is possible I don`t understand people but I see no point in breaking rules to lose a game if I can do it with a single mouse click. Laughing

tomykiller123

Boletus_CZ: it's a kinf of "revenge". When someone is losing, they want to make their opponent go through some pain of waiting.

I personally think it should be punished very hard - it's as frustrating as playing against a "computer player" - so I think that whenever it has been proved that person disconnected ON PURPOSE I suggest closing his accout (maybe even a permanent ban on his IP - but this may be too much)

DalaiLuke

It seems chess.com does a decent job, warning people first and then closing accounts.  

@Boletus  ... I understand your argument, but logic and reason don't necessarily apply when someone's in the midst of a moment of anger.  I can't say I've never thought of doing it, but luckily my 'higher self' prevails!  :)

Boletus_CZ

OK guys, you made me believe it is a big deal. Wink I can understand the anger stuff although when it happens to me I usually find a lot of not-to-be-published-here words for myself but I have never thought of punishing my opponent by wasting their time.