Play Chess on Your Google Homepage!

• erik
  • on 8/12/09, 1:14 PM.

Play Chess on Your Google Homepage!
Launch of Chess.com gadget on iGoogle Leveraging OpenSocial

As of August 12th, users of the iGoogle homepage can now play chess with their friends with a new chess gadget. Chess.com is one of the first companies to offer interactive gaming through iGoogle using the new OpenSocial implementation. Once you've added the gadget you can then begin inviting your contacts to play chess with you right through their own iGoogle page. To add this gadget simply click here:

>> Add iGoogle Chess Gadget

NOTE: This is rolling out across the USA and Australia this week, so it may not be available to everyone immediately.

At Chess.com we chose to develop for iGoogle because it will allow us to reach tens of millions of iGoogle users and introduce to them the enjoyable social nature of playing chess online with friends. And because we are using the OpenSocial API, we can more easily launch a chess gadget on other sites in the future. We worked closely with Google to create the best possible chess experience and Google was very helpful in providing technical advice, feedback, and testing.

We're excited about the potential of Chess.com on iGoogle and will be making regular improvements over time. Right now you cannot interface with your regular Chess.com website games, but we hope to include that ability soon.

Fore more information on Google's new support of OpenSocial, see here: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-scream-you-scream-we-all-scream-for.html

2 votes

Comments

casanovanano

¡Por favor, sea relevante, útil y agradable!

azazel14

[COMMENT DELETED]

ZornDunkelheit

[COMMENT DELETED]

BeZerKoManDr

what happened? I can't see any of my games in progress now.

williamsteer

I see a couple other people have also inquired about integrating my chess.com account with the iGoogle gadget... when will the feature be possible (it would be willing to loose my gamestats from either 'account' if integreation could start "yesterday". Sill a lovely app

corrimalxjdca

jolly good show

Arv123

cool !

Clobbersaurus

how do you change your profile image?  I cant find it under settings

andrewjacob

this article has been going on for days I want a new one

maxamilion

Is there any way at all to setup your chess.com account to use it with this igoogle gadget? It seems to create the new account when you start it for the first time...Frown

SonofPearl

For all those who had the message that the new Chess.com feature wasn't available - do remember to try again!  I had the same message myself at first, but now I have access. Cool

Borik

seems like it creates new account... is there a way to use esisting one????

cypresscougar

realy good idea i am going to try it

qixel

Well, I got it to work, but it is just turned-based chess.

I was hoping it was a way to play live chess with people here without using Live Chess Beta.  But alas, no !Cry

Amy

omar11111

great news.

GM arunabi

Wow thats a great news for chess fans!!!!

Keyif

Now you have sold your soul to google? LOL

Celebane

I'm curious if google's social thingie works for Erik.  Seems most of us in the LA area can't use it :(

knightspawn5

When It came up, I put it on google immeditility, thanks.

Taxi

you guts are so smart! Great stuff!