February 2017 Prodigy Program with Peter Heine Nielsen and Lawrence Trent!
Registration for the February 2017 month of the Prodigy Program is now open for our 900+, 1200+, 1500+, and 1750+ Elo sections. We are happy to announce that super-coach GM Peter Heine Nielsen will be teaching in our program this month! Just in case you didn't know, Peter Heine Nielsen is Magnus Carlsen's chess coach!
Famed chess commentator IM Lawrence Trent will also teach this month. Priority registration for the February 2017 Prodigy Program is open until 2:00 AM Pacific Time (PST) on Saturday, February 11th, 2017. Sign up for Chess University's flagship chess learning program today! Read on for details.
Chess University's Prodigy Program
Start Your Journey Towards Mastery Today!
Chess University's Prodigy Program is the world's premier and most comprehensive online chess course designed to help adults work their way towards mastery and create chess prodigies out of youth players.
By offering the highest quality of live lessons, detailed study guides, instructive homework, personalized game analysis, and unlimited guidance from our world-class team of coaches, we provide ambitious chess players a clear path to chess improvement and mastery.
The Prodigy Program is for chess players of all ages. Join the Prodigy Program if you are seeking a structured way to learn chess from the world's foremost chess instructors.
Meet The Team:
- The Prodigy Program is taught by Kairav Joshi, Chess.com's officially #1-selling coach and President of Chess University, along with FM Dalton Perrine, FM Arne Jochens, FM Elliott Liu, IM Kostya Kavutskiy, U.S. Women's National Champion IM Nazi Paikidze, IM Lawrence Trent, GM Alex Yermolinsky, and our esteemed guest instructor GM Peter Heine Nielsen.
- Our instructors are assisted by: Senior Teaching Assistant Marek Simon and Teaching Assistants Paul Bevans and FM Mari Joseph. Top scholastic chess trainer Mike Hoffer, known for coaching Truman Hoang to back-to-back U.S. K-9 National Championships, will contribute to our content this month.
February 2017 Prodigy Program Information:
- This month's program offers over 12.5 hours of live lessons (that get recorded so students can review), couple hours of bonus video lessons, three detailed study guides, class homework, online correspondence tournaments, and full email support for students.
- Students may submit two games for personalized emailed analysis by our instructors. That's right! We analyze two games for each student and offer personalized tips and advice.
- Students will be able take a comprehensive quiz at the end of the month to test their understanding of the material they learned.
- The tuition for the February 2017 Prodigy Program is $150.
- We offer four rating sections: 900+, 1200+, 1500+, and 1750+ Elo.
- Program begins on February 11th, 2017 at 10:00 AM PST and all the live lessons will be taught on the 11th, 12th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 25th, and 26th of February.
- Most live lessons are taught somewhere between 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM PST (Pacific Time). Visit ChessUniversity.com to find each section's full schedule for February.
- Note: For players rated above 1900 Elo, we have a Prodigy Training Course that started in January and is set to end in March: https://chessuniversity.com/courses/1900-prodigy-training-course/
Key Areas of Study in February 2017:
- Basics of king and pawn endgames (winning won endgames and drawing drawn endgames) and discussion of opposition and outflanking.
- Improving basic endgame calculation.
- Opening principles and basic applications.
- Understanding fianchettoes and opening development including stable vs. unstable development.
- Elementary opening theory.
- Methods for improving the position and combining principles with tactics and forcing moves.
- Improving understanding and logical decision making move by move.
- Textbooks: Silman's Complete Endgame Course by Jeremy Silman and Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess by Bobby Fischer
- Mastering all king and pawn endgames with one pawn.
- King and pawn endgames (triangulation, pawn breaks, endgames with multiple pawns).
- Endgame calculation and depth: what chess engines don't understand.
- Basics of attacking the enemy king.
- Applying forcing moves to find unusual tactics and learning to balance principles with tactical/dynamic play.
- Strategy and positional chess such as basics of types of positions and types of pawn structures.
- Applying opening principles, opening strategy, and opening tactics to get strong positions right out of the opening.
- Textbooks: Silman's Complete Endgame Course by Jeremy Silman and Amateur's Mind by Jeremy Silman
- Improving calculation and visualization.
- Positional chess crash course.
- Intermediate king and pawn endgame concepts.
- Advanced opening topics (how to build your opening repertoire, how to use engines and databases, how and when to memorize opening lines, etc.).
- Typical middlegame attacking plans and avoiding premature attacks.
- Improving at playing positions with strong initiative advantage.
- Textbooks: Silman's Complete Endgame Course by Jeremy Silman and How to Reassess Your Chess 4th Edition by Jeremy Silman
- Combining tactical and strategic patterns to create great combinations.
- Understanding positional combinations.
- Understanding important pawn structures.
- Calculation and visualization training.
- Advanced endgame play (improving both knowledge and skills).
- Advanced queen and pawn endgames as well as rook and pawn endgames.
- Textbooks: Silman's Complete Endgame Course by Jeremy Silman, How to Reassess Your Chess 4th Edition by Jeremy Silman, and Chess Structures - A Grandmaster Guide by Mauricio Flores Rios
Naming of our sections is based on over-the-board Elo ratings. Online correspondence ratings tend to be inflated compared to Elo, by up to a few hundred points at lower rating levels. Message GeniusKJ on Chess.com for an evaluation if you are not sure which section to join.
Why Join Prodigy Program?:
- The Prodigy Program is the world's first and only comprehensive online chess course.
- The program is taught by best-selling, world-class coaches who time after time have proven their ability to help students greatly improve.
- With detailed study guides, homework assignments, puzzle/quiz videos, one-on-one emailed game analysis, and guidance all in addition to the live lessons, the amount students learn each month exceeds what they would get out of 20-30 private lessons with other coaches.
- Our students perform exceedingly well at tournaments
- Five-time world champion Vishy Anand describes our program as: "a brilliant solution for chess players around the world."
- No long-term commitment needed but we give you long-term access to course materials pertaining to the course/section you take!
- This is the highest quality of chess instruction available in the world. Period.
February 2017 Registration:
- To sign up for the February 2017 Prodigy Program, follow this link to Chess University's student portal. https://chessuniversity.com/
- Create a free account there if you don't already have one otherwise simply log in.
- Click on the course corresponding to the rating section you want to join here: https://chessuniversity.com/live-classes-list/
- Click on "Take This Course" and complete checkout.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions before signing up.
Priority registration ends at 2:00 AM PST on Saturday, February 11th, 2017. Late registrations are accepted but students who sign up late may miss few of the live lessons (though as lessons get recorded, this is OK).
So what are you waiting for? Start your journey towards mastery today. We hope to see you in the Prodigy Program very soon!
Check out free preview lessons from IM Lawrence Trent and Coach Mike below!